broken window roller 1941

normanpitkin

My door was rattling so i took off the door panel to discover that the die cast roller wheel on the side at the back has disintegrated ! The window still rolls up and down perfectly but i cannot imagine it is designed to operate using only the front roller ,Is there a way to fir a new roller without replacing the entire mechanism as it is only the rear roller thats broke,Its a 1941 chrysler Windsor convertible drivers side window.

119C8CB2-401D-4608-84CF-139A63B876C0.heic

Pictures please...

Possibly the more common style 1946-48 solid window roller steel wheels would work?

Tonight I will post pictures of them separately and installed.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

That's weird. I also have a 41 and mine has the solid ones. Viewing photos of parts list they are solid. Photo on manual (printed 1940) show cast wheel like yours.

Further reading part list they changed these to solid in 41/42. So Dodgeb4ya is correct the later ones will work.

Attached page from part list, see note 2

image_2021-07-02_194319.png

Capture.PNG

22.pdf

• Like 1

hi

yes thats the part number i have to and it shows a solid one,I suspect they changed it for the solid version for cost and durability ,now all need to do is buy one and figure out how to fit it!119C8CB2-401D-4608-84CF-139A63B876C0_1_105_c.jpeg.b476a56170fe9b7d91a24a17ea3d0234.jpeg

• Like 1

Haha ,that is USPS ! When a retailer signs up to the Ebay international sellers program they have to use Ebays shipping calculations ,which includes ,tax ,import duty and VAT ,then with a healthy profit margin added on top.It makes shipping costs about 3 times what they used to be.

Is there va USA based member of this forum that would agree to purchase the items and have them sent to their USA address then resend them direct to you in the UK?.........you would obviously have to stump up the purchase cost, US postage cost and the international postage but it may well be a LOT cheaper just a little bit roundabout way of getting the parts.........andyd 

Norman, you might be over-thinking this replacement roller thing... PlymouthCranbrook found something usable at the hardware store, an auto-glass shop could easily have what you need in their junk pile, there could be dozens of equivalents in the breaker's yard, or a local machinist could carve you one from billet in less than an hour.

A $45 kit that includes stuff I don't need — plus $55 shipping — plus waiting who knows how long for it to arrive?

Not for me.

Buying on-line can be and often is the best way to go. This doesn't sound like one of them.

• Like 1