Transmission jack for 3spd overdrive

Young Ed

Sad to report it's still leaking. It's gone from gushing back to what appears to be a slow drip but after a couple miles around the neighborhood it still left a good 8" circle spot in the driveway. 

37 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

....I know it may be stupid to ask you this but are you sure the gasket on the input shaft cover, the gasket hole is aligned to the hole in the case so it will drain back into the tranny from the front bearing?

99% sure haha. Gasket was a vintage trans kit and the bottom was a U to allow a fluid path

Just now, Plymouthy Adams said:

next part.....did you read the cover the case gap without gasket fitted.....then add .005 to that for the proper gasket thickness.....?

Yes I measured 5 thou without gasket and used a 10thou from the kit I had. 

I wanted to make sure the cover didn't leak so went bonkers when sealing it back up with fuel tank sealant. The large gasket should seal the bore the shift rail rides in but I took extra care sealing the gasket in that area. It worked.

transmission-7.jpg.c4bc3a24f7ef28223da07ff31264349b.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan

• 1 month later...

Had the day off work so I went to work on the overdrive again. Pulled it back and could clearly see the trail of oil from the shift rail and that center plug at the bottom. Cleaned it all up and coated a new gasket with plenty of ultra black gasket sealer and smeared over that plug on the bottom as well. Now the next problem my ujoint boots are shot ....