Fuel pump fitting advice

Nigel Bailey

Hi all; about to fit a standard mechanical pump (pic attached) to my '48 Dodge D25. A trial fit seems to suggest the pump arm sits under the cam lobe, and on the bench, the arm seems to have a downward stroke of approx. 1/4 inch. I have rotated the motor until the cam is off the lobe next to the pump arm, however there still seems to be some pressure/deflection of the arm when I offer the pump up for fitting. I've never fitted one before: is this normal and am I doing things right? Confirmation or correction from those more experienced/talented than me would be appreciated! Cheers,

Nigel

fuel pump.png

If you still have the heat shield the screw closest to me in your pic is removed and the stud on the old pump is installed in its place.  It supports the bottom of the shield.  The top is held by a manifold nut and the bottom by a wing nut atop the stud. Good luck.

If it's not too late replace that pivot pin with either a shaft with c or e clips or a bolt and nut. The staked ones are prone to failure and then you're stranded

• Like 1

Put the pump in on a slight angle with the arm under the cam lobe. As mentioned before - don't forget the gasket.

You should be able to catch one bolt into the block - tighten it just enough to hold the pump in place

Then with one hand push the other side of the pump up to line up the other mounting hole and thread the bolt into the block.

It helps to keep some upward pressure on the pump while tightening the bolt. It makes it easier to do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Young Ed said:

If it's not too late replace that pivot pin with either a shaft with c or e clips or a bolt and nut. The staked ones are prone to failure and then you're stranded

Thanks Young Ed. It's not too late; by the pivot pin, do you mean the shaft that the pump arm rotates on in the pump body? Are you able to send a photo of the solution you suggest? I've also heard that the pins that hold the actual pump arm together can slip out, and that a careful centre punch to flare them out slightly can help, or is this not really an issue? Pump is from Andy Bernbaum.

5 hours ago, Nigel Bailey said:

Thanks Young Ed. It's not too late; by the pivot pin, do you mean the shaft that the pump arm rotates on in the pump body? Are you able to send a photo of the solution you suggest? I've also heard that the pins that hold the actual pump arm together can slip out, and that a careful centre punch to flare them out slightly can help, or is this not really an issue? Pump is from Andy Bernbaum.

Yes the pin the shaft pivots on. Some of the newer rebuild kits have a longer pin with clips. Basically anything you can make that doesn't rely just on staking the pump body will be better. I've never seen the arm itself fall apart. 

• Like 1

From the picture posted, that pivot pin isn't staked.  It's the infamouse airtex interfearence fit.  Which isn't an intearence fit either. It is basically just pushed in.

I would put a dollop of epoxy on each end or get a small spring style paper clip and clamp it over the body of the pump to keep it retained.

• Like 1

Nigel - does the actuating arm on your new pump look the same as your old one? I took the pump out of my '48 Windsor (not sure if it's the original pump) and the actuating arm has a sort of saddle at the end which rides on the cam lobe. All the replacement ones I see don't seem to have this saddle piece. 

So I guess my question is - will any pump that's described as a 588 fit, even if it looks a bit different in details?

409695869_Screenshot2021-07-01at21_40_43.png.11a287efc36a201542cd6000b18f9447.png559656528_Screenshot2021-07-01at21_30_22.png.fd284e657659e3794726989d30d22690.png

Edited by Chris-R

3 hours ago, Chris-R said:

Nigel - does the actuating arm on your new pump look the same as your old one? I took the pump out of my '48 Windsor (not sure if it's the original pump) and the actuating arm has a sort of saddle at the end which rides on the cam lobe. All the replacement ones I see don't seem to have this saddle piece. 

So I guess my question is - will any pump that's described as a 588 fit, even if it looks a bit different in details?

409695869_Screenshot2021-07-01at21_40_43.png.11a287efc36a201542cd6000b18f9447.png559656528_Screenshot2021-07-01at21_30_22.png.fd284e657659e3794726989d30d22690.png

Hi Chris,

not sure: the car previously ran an electric pump and just had a blanking plate over the fuel pump mount. Not a lot of parts availability here in Australia so I get most of my new stuff from Andy Bernbaum or Rock Auto. I'm wanting to return the car to 'standard' looking (although it will be 12V/neg earth) and am also chasing a D6G1 Carter carb to replace the old Stromberg that's on there, but that's another story. It's a steep learning curve for me, but I hope to have the ol' girl back on the road by the end of the year, and the Forum here has been fantastic help. Thanks,

Nigel

• Like 1