Do something good for yourself..

MackTheFinger

21 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Kris is good, don't get me wrong...but I like J. Cash version better....either way the lyrics are great...

The Johnny Cash version is really good and it's the first one most people heard.

I sorta didn't like Kristofferson much early on and thought of him as flavor of the month. It's hard not to be a impressed by his biography, though; and he did write a few good songs. 

What I learned from watching the Ken Burns series on Country Music was that Kris wrote a boatload of the best songs ever written that were covered by Johnny Cash,Charlie Pride,Janis Joplin and a bunch of others singers. He was basically considered the Shakespeare of country music and I think he sings his own songs better than anyone that ever had a hit covering one of his songs. Quite an amazing life story too.

• Like 1

Sad part of the music industry is the fact one usually will lock onto the first recorded version as that was the very one they draw a parallel to....I know I do...I also know I do not like live recording on the average over that of the studio production which is the one you heard on the radio...so another identity factor working in the songs favor.  Had Kris recorded some of these at the get go...yeah...he would have been more of in the EYE of the listening audience.   We have had a number of good songwriters go unacknowledged for their greatness and when they perform the song some say oh my...!!   Some songs do well with a make over and new release but like most movies....the first is usually hard to beat.

I am not going to pick any song, I always enjoyed Johnny Cash. I agree with @MackTheFinger Ol Kris was a one hit wonder ... but later they actually seem good.

Took a few years to get use to Kris. They actually did ok singing others music. Much of it was not there's.

A lot of songs reproduced from clowns where the original players did a great job.