Bolts to Mount Straight 6 to Stand

ChrisMinelli

5 hours ago, ChrisMinelli said:

Hmm, you guys are scaring the poop out of me.  I decided to do a search for engine stands that aren’t Harbor Freight and all the ones available seem to be of the same design and hardware, only different colors.  I am guessing that they are all made by the same firm in China.  

They work very well for what they are designed for. They are not designed to be rolling up and down ramps.

When I bought mine I planned to beef up mine as a project, thicker gussets, wider axles stronger wheels .... I decided to just leave it alone.

I do have the bracing in the front because my engine is stuck. I put a breaker bar and 3' of pipe on it and try to turn the engine over. I am not worried about the stand breaking, I am worried about the cast iron of the engine breaking. If it was being assembled, I would not have the bracing under it as I would be rotating the engine while working on it.

People have let engines sit for decades on a stand with no bracing & no issues .... Since I am abusing mine with a 3' breaker bar, I use bracing. Since I will need the bracing again I just leave it in place.

You once said the engine was sitting on a pallet.  A photo to show you exactly what I used to roll the V8 engine 3' to a corner. You can do the same thing with the pallet if you can get something flat under it.  I just used heavy  pvc pipe because it was in the corner and scrap.

Just suggesting if you can get the uhaul in front of the garage you can roll it out of the uhaul, you know it will get high centered going down the ramp ... deal with it.

Get it on the garage floor and you can roll it anywhere you need it. More pipe the better.

Just another idea on how you can move it.

If you had a crane, you should be able to just grab the engine from the trailer and set it on the garage floor and roll it.

0628210740.jpg

I ended up buying an engine hoist.  Best $200 I ever spent.  Tomorrow I’ll be making a custom wood dolly with casters to move it around (high enough to go over the hoist). 

I believe this is a truck engine.  The brake master cylinder is on the bell housing.  My 52 Plymouth just has it bolted to the frame under the driver seat.  

9F4620D9-D238-4392-B0FF-3B9DFA22D6E4.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChrisMinelli said:

I ended up buying an engine hoist.  Best $200 I ever spent.  Tomorrow I’ll be making a custom wood dolly with casters to move it around (high enough to go over the hoist). 

I believe this is a truck engine.  The brake master cylinder is on the bell housing.  My 52 Plymouth just has it bolted to the frame under the driver seat.  

I see the master cylinder there, but would love to see more pictures of how that is mounted, etc.  (Iv'e never seen one that I can recall, and it's just a curiosity, so no worries if you can't do that.)

• 5 months later...
On 6/26/2021 at 8:57 AM, keithb7 said:

For some folks, finding an old, low priced assembled engine and tearing it apart is the entire goal. Its a great way to dive in head-first and get a great hands-on education. Getting a hoist and other large specialty tools may not be on the radar yet. Tearing it down is the main objective. This could be done on a shop floor. Not ideal, no. Yet the lights do come on and the gaps are closed as a person learns the hows and the whys of the entire engine.

I did something similar. The end goal was not to rebuild the engine. It was to learn. I did purchase a micrometer set and a dial bore gauge. I aIready owned a dial indicator tool.

What model of dial bore gauge did you get?   Does it work well?