Sisson choke adjustment

Doug&Deb

Besides the lever position on the shaft is there any other adjustment to the choke assembly? Specifically spring tension. My choke lever moves when the starter is engaged but not enough to fully close the choke. I’ve adjusted according to the manual. What am I missing?

When you say not fully closed how much travel is left?  It's not supposed  to shut completely.  You are supposed to use a 3/8ths drill bit as a gauge for the space between the carb body and the closed butterfly. Thought there was a pinch collar on the pivot shaft.  But it been years since I monkey with one on a 54 Dodge.

If you do not have the book for the adjustment...you may find this in the download section on the technical page...the butterfly should fully close when setting the choke arm up...I think by 54 though as stated above as a mentioned year had by this time done away with the Sission and had gone with bakelite choke oven and spring...my Plymouth has such as this...

SISSON Automatic Choke.pdf - Reference Information - P15-D24.com and Pilot-house.com

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Yes they are stupid expensive. Mine even more so. Someone changed the manifold on my 52 Coronet to Plymouth manifolds from 49/50 so the choke is backwards. It mounts in front of the carb. Apparently they only used this setup for a couple of years. If you find one it’s almost double the more common one. I’ll keep tinkering with mine. I’ll eventually get it.

Doug This is rich Hartung and I am the contact person that created the setup document on the Sisson choke.

Call me at my cellphone 484-431-8157  or home 610-630-9188  or desoto1939@aol.com

Yes if they changed to the 1949 manifold than you need the 1949 Sisson Choke that mounts in front of the carb. And yes these cost even more and can run into the $200-300 range for NOS.

Suggest that you take some pictures of the carb setup and the choke buttery setup and linkage

Rich Hartung