Mig Brazing

kencombs

I buried this question in Los-control's door thread.  Thought I'd give it a post of its own to get more views/info,

I've been wanting to try mig brazing, but needing another gas bottle and expensive wire has kept me from trying out out.

It seems to be an ideal method for sheet metal or thick to thin applications like this one.

Some carmakers now specify it for body repairs in certain areas.

Has anyone here tried it?  If so , did you spring for the pure argon bottle, or try it with 25/75 mix.

Edited by kencombs

• kencombs changed the title to Mig Brazing

No preheat required as far as I can tell from the info I’ve found.    
And no flux which is a problem under body work if not cleaned completely. That and low heat and distortion really interest me as I am working on some rust repairs. 

recommended by gm bmw  and others and used as a plug weld a lot.  

Edited by kencombs

I do not think I have not so much as turned on the MIG welded in years....just not my go to machine.....I will stay old school with the torch I suppose....be interesting as you say to see if someone here does this and how it works...as with mig welding steel especially on dissimilar metal thickness and thinning where punch through due to sudden excess heat...just not my go to and of course there is the other factors associated with MIG .....you are right about the brazing flux will grow hair.....has to be spotlessly cleaned before coating....European cars have always had a fair share of brazing in the process of auto making....makes for no fun time when repairing later and you wish to get rid of the brazing media completely....