Fluid drive solenoid help needed

White Spyder

My 48 Windsor with fluid drive had a leaking Welch plug that required me to remove the oil canister and hard lines. After the repair, I went for a test run and now seem to be having an issue with the solenoid that controls the fluid drive. 

When decelerating, the solenoid rapidly clicks at about 40 mph and 20 mph. It also disengages the transmission occasionally.   While working n the Welch plug I was leaning into the car over the solenoid. I check the wires and idle and all is good. Any help is appreciated. 

The fluid drive solenoids are on the transmission itself called the Governor and The Interruptor switch. 

Recommend reviewing the troubleshooting guide from MTSC -- https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/mtsc/024.pdf

and watching the videos -- https://mymopar.com/browse-mtsc-by-model-year-1949/

See July and August 1949. 

What you may have done though is affected the wiring that is on the fender near the oil canister,  or possibly the oil to the transmission is low. The shifting action is related to the engine speed, idle speed, oil pressure, electrical signal.

And remember the up and down rule.... up  for upshift, and down for downshift

image.png.aa0e24e98a3fafdbb458d1db2b9adf46.png

This is just a shot in the dark, but perhaps while you were leaning in over the fender working on that oil canister, you were pressing up against the transmission relay.  Perhaps one of the wires has come loose. Maybe you dislodged that fuse that sticks up? Not to suggest that that would directly cause your transmission to jump out of gear, but it wouldn't hurt to check out that relay.

• Like 1

As you probably figured out by now, that wire on your carb is the kickdown connection and the other end of that wire goes to the TH terminal on your transmission relay.  Which is the bottom one on the side of the relay that has two terminals.

Odd place to mount a temp gauge sensor bulb.