Replacing Tie Rod ends

Pauls46P15

In detailing my 1946 P15 Super Deluxe Club Coupe, I have found the tie rod ends all have cracked boots and are leaking grease.

Are the outer tie rod ends the same part numbers that are used on the inner steering tie  rod ends located by the steering box?

Just got some from Oriellys for about 20 bucks each.  There are also right hand and left hand threads inyhe mix.  The counter guy nknew the drill and where available the next day.  They had several choices from 15 to 35 bucks each.

according to my Thompson Chassis parts book for your car the numbers are  Right had assembly ES60 right and Left  Left hand assembly ES131 right and left.

this also covers from 1940-54 Plymouth

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pauls46P15 said:

In detailing my 1946 P15 Super Deluxe Club Coupe, I have found the tie rod ends all have cracked boots and are leaking grease.

Are the outer tie rod ends the same part numbers that are used on the inner steering tie  rod ends located by the steering box?

I'm cheap, so if they aren't loose, I'd just replace the boots.  Most of the older front end parts are much superior to the off-shore sourced replacements available today.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, greg g said:

Just got some from Oriellys for about 20 bucks each.  There are also right hand and left hand threads inyhe mix.  The counter guy nknew the drill and where available the next day.  They had several choices from 15 to 35 bucks each.

10 hours ago, greg g said:

So the outers are the same part as the inners. Outer right to inner right outer left to inner left?

5 minutes ago, Jerry Roberts said:

As mentioned , if only boots are needed , just replace the boots . i have seen them in the parts store in two sizes . There are utube vidios on disconnecting the tie rod ends . 

it is funny but you cannot buy a blister pack of 2 small or 2 large....no...you have to buy two blister packs containing a large and small in each blister....you will have a pair of unusable cups on hand 

2 hours ago, Pauls46P15 said:

So the outers are the same part as the inners. Outer right to inner right outer left to inner left?

Unfortunately,  I had them installed at a shop when I had my annual 8nspection done. I only know they were correct for the application.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:44 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

it is funny but you cannot buy a blister pack of 2 small or 2 large....no...you have to buy two blister packs containing a large and small in each blister....you will have a pair of unusable cups on hand 

They are also available in single packs in one of 3 sizes.  Most stores don't stock but may be able to get them.  If not, RockAuto has them, less that 3 bucks each and shipping is reasonable.

Also ebay has them in either rubber or poly and somewhat cheaper when shipping is included.

Edited by kencombs

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 9:37 PM, kencombs said:

I'm cheap, so if they aren't loose, I'd just replace the boots.  Most of the older front end parts are much superior to the off-shore sourced replacements available today.

Agreed, I wanted to change my tie rod joints but no NOS available that I know of, and I can’t imagine tolerances of new ones or durability would be better than what I currently have. 

Edited by Life is Good

well, lets say this about that....

Top 18 Tie Rod End OEM Manufacturers in 2020 - MZW Motor

Where are Moog parts made? The answer may surprise you! | Suspension.com

you can run a check on your favs.....AC Delco, Motorcraft, Dana Spicer....

These parts are now outsourced to many countries for just about every major name we have ever known.  IF according to most folks you get the part in the original box with the brand name thereon....you getting good parts....getting these loose, no packaging or names attached....yeah maybe a lower line product....but made in USA....sorry guys this is about a thing of the past...called competition...you can only stay in business if you can sell affordably.   The makers to the retailers....they are supplied by the mother company from whatever country of origin they deal has to deliver at the time of call for parts.