Fluid Drive Capacity

maddmaxx1949

Picking up some Mobil DTE light circulating oil ISO 32 per the previous discussion based on this topic. Anybody know offhand about how much goes into the fluid drive coupling?

It has sat for a very long time and I suspect not the greatest condition. I had drained it due to age and suspected low level. I got about 1/3 of a gallon of black oily watery liquid. Just wanted to verify capacity so I have a ball park at the 80% mark. also if anyone knows how to throw it in the capacity section of the Reference info that would be cool too.

When the fill opening is in the proper alignment,  you fill it till it is near to overflowing and reinsert the plug.  Do not drop the plug. Check the 8mprtial club site repair pages.

Edited by greg g

Yes, That's correct. I was hoping for a ballpark number to verify whether or not my 1/3rd gallon was far too little or not. I have to order 5 gallons from granger and its hard to justify dropping 160$ on 5 gallons if I only need 1.

Thanks Merle. That gave a me a baseline. I would've answered my own question unfortunately I think my Fluid drive unit is Fubar'd. started leaking about a gallon in and looks to be coming from the center of the unit on the clutch side ? . Was getting a small drip out of the bottom drain and had my fingers crossed it was just overflow. Pulled the lower bellhousing and it was pretty clear where she was coming from.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, maddmaxx1949 said:

Thanks Merle. That gave a me a baseline. I would've answered my own question unfortunately I think my Fluid drive unit is Fubar'd. started leaking about a gallon in and looks to be coming from the center of the unit on the clutch side ? . Was getting a small drip out of the bottom drain and had my fingers crossed it was just overflow. Pulled the lower bellhousing and it was pretty clear where she was coming from.

What will make you more sad is when you see the price of a new set of seals -- ~$500

10 minutes ago, wagoneer said:

What will make you more sad is when you see the price of a new set of seals -- ~$500

Oh yeah. I looked it up yesterday, have to shelve the project now to find work so I can pay for it. I perhaps was a bit too optimistic that it was still good after sitting outside for many years in a field. I think I might try to pull the one from my 1950 chrysler just so I can get the car to move without pulling it. not sure I want to do that though