P15 hood ornament light

Young Ed

Different take on this topic this time. I've got the light itself handled. What's the general idea for powering. Wire down the center of the hood trim and then where? Inside to connect to the dash wiring? Around and back to the front for headlights or down to the dimmer? Also will I need to run 2 or will the hood be grounded sufficiently?

1 hour ago, greg g said:

The points side connection is just to darn distracting.

Every time the points open the light flashes? Awesome. Easy for troubleshooting power thru the points to ground! 

you forgot the smiley Greg....

I have two bulbs in mine...one is green and one is purple.....and the mood is controlled by a toggle switch....green-off-purple....for some folks this would be the ideal turn signal indicator as I followed them for miles with their T/S's on.....I also found that ground wire is not needed....and if in case you did have a ground issue...place a strap on the hinge only.

I'm going with the LED popsicle stick piece that someone suggested way back. Bought 2 of them and then didn't have my car home for 2020. Looks like now I just have to decide if I want it tied to headlights or on all the time. 

I installed a white LED in mine that illuminates when either the low or high beams are on.  A single wire down the center of the hood that connects to the headlight circuit, depending on ground thru the hood hinges..  It works fine, but if I had it to do over, I would have used 2 LEDs....white for low beams, and red for high beams.  But I rarely drive after dark anymore, so it's OK as is.

Got the light wired in. All test lights went perfect. Final installed it and it worked for like a minute. Drove a couple miles to the gas station and barely saw it. After gas it worked the whole way home. It seems as if I need a more reliable ground.

Dad has a tilt-bed trailer, lighting was iffy for 10+ yrs...time for a new wood floor, minor weld repairs, pack wheel bearings, and fresh coat of paint, I got volun-told to get r dun.  Looking at the tilt mechanism, it was obvious why the lighting was inconsistent.  I added a ground wire to bypass the hinges, lighting problem solved ?