48 Windsor fuel pump - overhaul kit?

Chris-R

I've removed the fuel pump from my 48 Windsor and started taking it apart. I can't go any further yet as all my smallest spanners are metric, but Amazon is hopefully sorting that for me tomorrow. 

So far I've been impressed by the crud that's collected in the bowl and housing - it has a dry papery feel, and its grey, almost like flakey paint. Maybe that's normal when a car has been standing for 15 years plus. 

There's no part number I can find on the pump housing, but there's a little aluminium tag under one of the housing bolts that has 588 and 1M1 stamped on it. I'll be ordering from the UK and I don't want to get the wrong one... but would this do it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174144967093?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item288bd951b5:g:ysYAAOSwWcRa330t&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACsPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSDAeS9EQtjPGVfKXTxF0%2Bjvy5WbigHn%2FuSK979DhciWWdzttZsOLZFghZmc2NDzz9frdi19WHHoEn1zGrI4hF1N9tVduDRlKZKBGGZC0fWfKGq%2FrLCkIXV3HuZZ%2FvJajFO3gTv6IAn%2FZc5Tr1PtJKCWrVl4EYMAk2mFdx2e3DJrICDLZmkv2WEmH1kCKSpg9%2BKd%2FXI1zx2ZbipjP4Bv9HnfKB6JCd3p0PC3VHjJwZuW9UJevV5SZ1VaJLuwT5X%2B%2BJEOXtOS3Eii87D5w%2FH7rK5Uiy%2BssDElhxECFGNKbDQJ3sVkFZAM3fjRLKxkdr86SUFx32Mq%2FCIAfpzZgS3PDfOCF6QpAnU3VPMV%2FS49bbA95zzW8Q2ZW9ZpOssUnKab8q8%2BdyKdd6w1CLB3eJqgho%2BZvkmpRKC4Z4Oo%2By%2FE298byn4Ye0TSRAc2M3%2BpgSpISRIOq3xHMJxit2hxILY90%2FQ4z%2B8IldgbFMxDoiO6oXXxBOKv0hxY0aAa8Bt43Jc8%2BXLbGVUfysbaE5uLZKNaWpWIz8ktEGP8ZYcWHRBZNptnWWAcYtUUd4XTFUvkEbPNPlJAXUkwefJDAvoebj2Gx8XBchaRh0reL0FZB8TWAxGicXf2ni0QidVjICJ2JwwUy2Rg0c0mh3EtT2B18D%2BmQZCUS45efhO7kSwLWENpROD81jP1LzYRNIjO1SIwbKoRg%2Bc3tlWE5gzO4jxRds8dVcLmE3ubaDpBsxhnOEGjHOau8zvScKnVbhC4CWCfBkWX7Zfrsg9%2FJaBG0BmXqjN3RZQ3vQPsRW%2B6zIlw4xVZ7Mzfi8d8v1HmsPSqxjOjer3A3y%2FmkclMq4X3DcoK4k7J9HgbIFIc6oeN6yw0OR0lVkNLc%3D|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

TIA

199637487_4357116644352879_8879757167032922308_n.jpeg

199413158_4357275067670370_4170631360760273652_n.jpeg

Edited by Chris-R

A helpful hint in regards to huge URLs.

www.tinyurl.com turns your monstrosity link into this  https://tinyurl.com/kd7mfpwd

As for which kit you need, I'd be talking to a vendor that knows these things rather than looking on Ebay, especially if you are overseas and having to deal with all that hassle if there is an issue.  Having said that the seller of your Ebay kit is a known vendor that deals with our vehicles and ought to be able to answer your questions.  Which is probably more helpful in case of any issues.

Check this other eBay add for similar but it does spec that it fits the #588 as does your tag. Priced close to the other Ebay add and if I remember correctly the then and now people are close to the same. It has been a while since I have checked their prices however.

The other suggestions I believe are right on also.

DJ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384197295930?epid=8028606051&hash=item5973f17

the 588 tag is the model of the pump.. AC was a major supplier of FP and the metal tag tells you that it is a model 588  these were used up in to the 50-60 and are also used on inductrail engines such a tree chippers.

So if you go into a good quality parts store just ask for a 588 fuel ump.  the 588 also fits my 1939 Desoto.

If they ask for a year tell them 1948 desoto 6.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Note that  Moparnopro's ad shows that pivot pin that always seems to fall out of the fuel pump at the worst times....

Then and Now has a helpful reassembly video: 

I had no idea that you were supposed to assemble the body with the lever held down, and then couldn't figure out why it wouldn't pump.

You may know this already, but be careful putting teflon tape on the threaded fuel line nipples upon reassembly. If you overtighten, you can easily split the casting. 

Edited by ratbailey

11 hours ago, ratbailey said:

I had no idea that you were supposed to assemble the body with the lever held down, and then couldn't figure out why it wouldn't pump.

You may know this already, but be careful putting teflon tape on the threaded fuel line nipples upon reassembly. If you overtighten, you can easily split the casting. 

Remember also to use power tools for small screws, vice with no protection, an huge clumsy screwdriver and adjustable wrench. 

• Haha 1

Thanks all - confirming that 588 is the pump model was key info I needed.

I'm have a little trouble releasing the diaphragm from the pump. My manual says the central rod 'unhooks', but it appears to be illustrating an older type of pump. The video linked above in this thread suggest a 90 degree twist, but that doesn't seem to work for me either... anyone got a pro tip? I'm reluctant to start disassembling the pump from the lever side unless absolutely necessary - all those fiddly bits!

4 hours ago, Chris-R said:

Thanks all - confirming that 588 is the pump model was key info I needed.

I'm have a little trouble releasing the diaphragm from the pump. My manual says the central rod 'unhooks', but it appears to be illustrating an older type of pump. The video linked above in this thread suggest a 90 degree twist, but that doesn't seem to work for me either... anyone got a pro tip? I'm reluctant to start disassembling the pump from the lever side unless absolutely necessary - all those fiddly bits!

It's kind of a party trick, like doing a Rubik's Cube behind your back. Maybe not that hard, but you just need to fiddle with it, and you'll finally figure out the combination. I was this close to chucking it across the room, when I finally got it to pop loose. It helps to visualize the hook sitting in the slot in the rod. When you get it out, you'll see that the rod has a long, oval shaped hole, so kind of push up on the rod, and move it away from the lever. Remove the lever spring before you attempt this, if you haven't already. Take heart, reassembly sucks even worse. ?

Edited by ratbailey

2 hours ago, ratbailey said:

It's kind of a party trick, like doing a Rubik's Cube behind your back. Maybe not that hard, but you just need to fiddle with it, and you'll finally figure out the combination. I was this close to chucking it across the room, when I finally got it to pop loose. It helps to visualize the hook sitting in the slot in the rod. When you get it out, you'll see that the rod has a long, oval shaped hole, so kind of push up on the rod, and move it away from the lever. Remove the lever spring before you attempt this, if you haven't already. Take heart, reassembly sucks even worse. ?

? ?   I think I did throw my Rubik's Cube across the room....

• Haha 1