fuel line ferrule

LazyK

I agree. $29 for a 75 cent fitting doesn't seem right. Would like to find the manufacturer or another application that uses the same size fitting. Must be out there somewhere.

You might check online on McMaster Carr for a part no. as well. "Sleeves for Compression Fittings for Copper Tubing" look similar though hard to tell from the picture alone. Take some measurements and I'm sure you will find something similar if not the same.

I think if you use the search button that some where on this site is a thread from a member who posted the dimensions and told how he made one up from some nylon bushing he found at the hardware store.  It was years ago. If I recall it was posted by Shel or Shel NY.  You can also search ferrule and see what you get.  I think he clamped his drill in a vise and chucked up the stock and got it to size like you would in a lathe, but he did the cutting and shaping with a small jewelers file.

Edited by greg g

2 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

for 29.50 I'll follow greg g suggestion and try to make something on the lathe out of brass stock. Yes I know for the time spent i could buy it.

Edited by LazyK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, greg g said:

Wow that's quite a markup on a 75 cent brass fitting.

But hey......the shipping is free!    ?

I would probably be looking at a way to force a NPT barbed fitting into the old tank fitting and seal it with JB Weld (or retap the old fitting?) so I could use a piece of rubber fuel hose to tie the tank into the rest of the plumbing.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

37 minutes ago, greg g said:

I think if you use the search button that some where on this site is a thread from a member who posted the dimensions and told how he made one up from some nylon bushing he found at the hardware store.  It was years ago. If I recall it was posted by Shel or Shel NY.  You can also search ferrule and see what you get.  I think he clamped his drill in a vise and chucked up the stock and got it to size like you would in a lathe, but he did the cutting and shaping with a small jewelers file.

found it  thanks

and thanks to Shel-NY also

464548449_ferrulesize.jpg.ec47f89bb0b82bc73e0c3f207b7cb6b0.jpg

1010041896_ferruleandfitting.jpg.83fc91a335260aff7924183b99782aeb.jpg

Any older Mom and Pop Hardware will have one. We had Faulk Bros in Charlotte NC (since 1946) they would have had one, but sold out a few years back.

Ace Hardware has a really fine selection of Brass fittings, take some time to dig through their stuff if you have one near you.

We also have a Black Hawk Hardware in Charlotte NC that might also. There is better solutions to a $29/75 cent fitting, for that I am sure

Tom

21 hours ago, Frank Gooz said:

How long did Mopar use this part?

The sketch in this posting is of your original part? (you found it)

the sketch was from member Shel-NY that I found in another discussion on this site

beginning to think not all cars used them.

when I put the car back together and tried to run the engine I could not get it to run off the gas tank but would run off a fuel can. checking for suction/air leaks i thought i had one at the tank I tried tightening the nut but did not solve the problem. read around here on various topics and there were several comments about this mysterious ferrule so I proceeded to make one after getting the dimensions. when i tried to install it there was no room in the fitting to insert it and still get the flare nut to start.  so I put it back together with out the ferule and this time it sealed up. the nut on my fuel line is longer than a standard inverted flare nut and has about 3/16 nose before the threads start. 

My thinking is different tank suppliers and or assembly lines 70 years ago used different fittings. I should have taken pictures but alas did not and it is back together and working. so unless the problem resurfaces im leaving it alone