55 pickup won’t start!

Problem!  Help!
55 Dodge C3 230cid 6 cyl. 6volt
I had the starter rebuilt and the truck struggles to turn over still.  Bump start and runs great just can’t start with the starter.  Pulled plugs and turned it over but still struggles.  I’m stumped.

So not all rebuilds are the same. When I was building my truck a few years ago I had two identical starters rebuilt at the same shop....at the same time. I put one in and drove it for 3 to 4 years. It always started.....but not always on the first try. Because it is a 70 year old truck and 6 volt I just thought it was just the way it was supposed to be. A buddy suggested I put my other starter in when he heard how it cranked over. Bingo! I barely have to touch the starter pedal and she starts right up.

So like I said even though they are identical units.......one is much better than the other. Seems to me your starter needs another pass at the rebuilders.

Hth, Jeff

how did it start before the starter was rebuilt?

what do you have the timing set to?

you need fuel, spark, and compression, in the proper sequence, to start easily.

you are in front of your truck.  we are all not in front of your truck.  help us help you by giving us as much information that might allow us to get you "started", as it were.

1/0 battery cables should be in good condition...I had an old set of cables that looked OK but starter struggled when engine heated up.  On a hunch, I cut open the cable insulation, and the copper was black from corrosion throughout, which drove impedance sky high.  New cables with soldered lugs really woke that starter up.

additional information - starter ground performance upgrade

• Like 1

I'm with Brian on this one... What's the condition of your battery cables? Often times these older 6v vehicles have had light duty, off the shelf, battery cables installed which severely limit the current to the starter. This causes slow cranking and hard starting due to the voltage drop.