Should there be a crush washer here?

White Spyder

48 Chrysler with a 251 six cylinder engine. Had to remove the oil canister and lines to replace a leaking Welch plug. Decided to clean the lines and canister before reinstalling. Water washing things up I found a copper crush washer in the tub. Looking further, I found what appears to be another in the bottom inlet on the canister. Still have to take a scraper to it. 

With flared metal lines, are there supposed to be crush washers on the lines going to the canister? If so, what about the lines going to the block?

Thanks, 

DB272927-2BDF-49EA-92FF-4082FEFF4EC1.jpeg

Edited by White Spyder
Add

The two fittings that come out of the oil filter canister should be a flare fitting and the oil lines should also be a flared fitting and I would think that they are double flared.

The lines were leaking so the prior owner did a quick fix.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

There are copper washers that are used to aid with sealing inverted flare lines. Not that i have ever used them, but i just saw a thread about them in another forum. McMaster carr or  Grainger sells them. 

4 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Live and learn...had no idea there were Band-Aids for flare fittings....why am I surprised......snake oil and magic bullets for everything else why not this...

Me neither. Learned something new today.

But I think I’d still replace any fitting that wasn’t sealing properly rather than putting a crush washer in the old one.

4 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

I would still make a new line or replace fitting. Typically i treat every inverted flare like it was for brakes,safety being important to me. 

I think so too but what if it is the canister side that ie the problem?  Won’t know until it is re-installed and filled. The lines were a pia to get off and I would not want to damage the canister. 

Those special copper crush washers like can be found at McMaster Carr are fairly common.

Those cupped copper sealing washers are correct factory installed parts on the Chrysler six to be sure of no leaks on the 1/2" steel oil filter lines.

Trying to make those 1/2" steel oil filter lines like the factory would be extremely difficult....wouldn't try it.

They don't ever fail unless damaged by physical damage.

I have used those same cupped copper washers when installing the 5/8" AC lines on a 60 Imperial.

They come in several sizes.

thanks.....I have never worked on the 'older' larger lines as you describe...thus I have not been exposed to these...I would guess this the why for the AN fittings...have only retrofitted newer AC into the older cars....not repaired a 50's AC that I can remember.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

21 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Those special copper crush washers like can be found at McMaster Carr are fairly common.

Those cupped copper sealing washers are correct factory installed parts on the Chrysler six to be sure of no leaks on the 1/2" steel oil filter lines.

Trying to make those 1/2" steel oil filter lines like the factory would be extremely difficult....wouldn't try it.

They don't ever fail unless damaged by physical damage.

I have used those same cupped copper washers when installing the 5/8" AC lines on a 60 Imperial.

They come in several sizes.

Where do you get them?  Andy B. Doesn’t have them nor even knew about them?  What about where they go into the block?  I didn’t see any there. Maybe they fell off befor I saw them. I was working at an odd angle with a crows foot to brake the nuts loose. 

Edited by White Spyder

Those special  washers are called a copper 45 degree flare gasket or washer.

NAPA used to sell them for doing AC line /hose end fittings.

"Parker" also had them.

Pretty sure the 46-48 Chrysler parts book lists those copper washer with the part# too.

The fittings into the block are pipe thread...no additional sealing needed except thread sealer. 

The copper washers fit into the recess where the tube nut screws down into the fittings.

The steel tube nut crushes the steel tube onto the 45 degree flared thin copper washer for leak free seal.

Those flared 45 degree copper washers are narrow,thin and of soft.