My practically new 49 Business Coupe

Loren

I just scored a new car I’ve wanted for a very long time.

This car has 37,400 miles on it! It’s about as original as it could be too.

One thing I am amazed about is it doesn’t wander at all.

There are a few things I’d like to perfect but I am not going to go overboard. A paint job and minor body repair to prevent rust is the biggest item on my list. 

I’ve been driving every day and it starts and runs like a near new 49 Plymouth.

F113884B-9711-4CD8-BC1A-B112AC06A4F3.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Before you paint it you might want to administer some of the new medicated goos onthe current paint. I have seen worse that have been brought back to a very presentable finish. Try a small area to see how it responds then take it to an experienced detailer to finish.  Be less expensive and a lot quicker than a respray, unless you have a local earl schieb franchise nearby.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Loren said:

I just scored a new car I’ve wanted for a very long time.

This car has 37,400 miles on it! It’s about as original as it could be too.

One thing I am amazed about is it doesn’t wander at all.

There are a few things I’d like to perfect but I am not going to go overboard. A paint job and minor body repair to prevent rust is the biggest item on my list. 

I’ve been driving every day and it starts and runs like a near new 49 Plymouth.

F113884B-9711-4CD8-BC1A-B112AC06A4F3.jpeg

Great catch! Looks awesome with the blackwalls. Paint is very period and pleasing. 

Looks good.  I like that there's not too much bling.  Also great to see that other get as excited as me about these old Mopars.  Anyone can find a old Chevy or Ford but it takes a special breed to embrace these old rigs.  Plus, I guarantee you'll be the only person at the show, cars/coffee, cruise-in, etc. with a '49 Plymouth Coupe.  Well done.

• Like 2

I like these 3 window coupes and currently am restoring a 48 DeSoto.  I bought a 50 Plymouth business coupe in the 80s and rebuilt the engine and replaced the clutch.  Unfortunately the car had rust out in the floors.  I bought it in Tuscon AZ, which is very dry, but that alone doesn't mean a rust free car.  I discovered the car had a leak at the back of the passenger drip rail that dripped rain water down on the floor.  That made the carpeting wet and it finally rusted the floors.  I also had some problems with the new clutch, which emitted a noxious smell every time used the clutch.  Never figured that one out.  During this time, I got a 50 Plymouth Special Deluxe sedan to do a tune up on, and it ran so much better than mine.  I think my biggest complaint about my 50 was that it screamed for a 4th gear when on the highway doing 55.  Good luck with your 49 as it's a cute little car.  Many of these business coupes from Plymouth came without any accessories.  No radio, no heater, no clock, no turn signals, etc.  Is yours like that?  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

Marc is right, "3 Passenger Coupes" were the cheapest of all Mopars. A Special Deluxe 2 door is vastly better equipped. This example has a heater but it is way down the price ladder than the one my Special Deluxe had way back in the 1970s.

They are also the lightest of all Mopars which is one of the reasons Lee Petty raced them and won 19 races! He said they'd go 92 mph...but didn't use up tires or fuel and that's why he won. He wasn't the only driver to race Plymouths with the same stratagem. FYI the Plymouth only had to go a few hundred miles to win a race...unless you want your engine to last only 500 miles don't "go pedal to the metal". Besides NASCAR had him tear down the engine 15 times out of those 19 wins.

I checked and it has the 3.73 to 1 rear end gears. I am thinking of changing the "Pumpkin" for a 1956 3.54 ratio I have. I don't think that's too big a change because the engine handles all the hills around here. However, it sure could use an Overdrive.

Ordinarily I would agree that it should not be painted...

There's big dent in the trunk lid, an old crappy repair on the driver's side and places where there's bare metal. I figure a decent paint job will do more to protect it for the next 72 years than it will diminish its originality. The paint of 1949 was not the shiniest by a long shot, so one has to be careful with modern materials. At any rate I know a very good paint supplier who can match colors amazingly well.

I've decided to retain the 6 volt positive ground electrical system. to go to 12 volt I'd have to give up the "Bull's Eye" headlamps and I am not doing that. Besides if it works don't fix it.

If you want electronic ignition I found a page on the web with a DIY project that duplicates a Delta Mark 10 in 6 volt positive ground. I used many of those on 3 cylinder 2 stroke SAABs and they were great! (but 12 volt) The idea then as now was to avoid changing points. The Delta Mark 10 used the points as a low voltage switch so the only thing that wore was the rubbing block. Now if I could figure out how to connect a Multi Spark Unit to it.....

More fun!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Loren said:

Marc is right, "3 Passenger Coupes" were the cheapest of all Mopars. A Special Deluxe 2 door is vastly better equipped. This example has a heater but it is way down the price ladder than the one my Special Deluxe had way back in the 1970s.

They are also the lightest of all Mopars which is one of the reasons Lee Petty raced them and won 19 races! He said they'd go 92 mph...but didn't use up tires or fuel and that's why he won. He wasn't the only driver to race Plymouths with the same stratagem. FYI the Plymouth only had to go a few hundred miles to win a race...unless you want your engine to last only 500 miles don't "go pedal to the metal". Besides NASCAR had him tear down the engine 15 times out of those 19 wins.

I checked and it has the 3.73 to 1 rear end gears. I am thinking of changing the "Pumpkin" for a 1956 3.54 ratio I have. I don't think that's too big a change because the engine handles all the hills around here. However, it sure could use an Overdrive.

Ordinarily I would agree that it should not be painted...

There's big dent in the trunk lid, an old crappy repair on the driver's side and places where there's bare metal. I figure a decent paint job will do more to protect it for the next 72 years than it will diminish its originality. The paint of 1949 was not the shiniest by a long shot, so one has to be careful with modern materials. At any rate I know a very good paint supplier who can match colors amazingly well.

I've decided to retain the 6 volt positive ground electrical system. to go to 12 volt I'd have to give up the "Bull's Eye" headlamps and I am not doing that. Besides if it works don't fix it.

If you want electronic ignition I found a page on the web with a DIY project that duplicates a Delta Mark 10 in 6 volt positive ground. I used many of those on 3 cylinder 2 stroke SAABs and they were great! (but 12 volt) The idea then as now was to avoid changing points. The Delta Mark 10 used the points as a low voltage switch so the only thing that wore was the rubbing block. Now if I could figure out how to connect a Multi Spark Unit to it.....

More fun!

Multi spark ? Here you go ;)

http://spitfirefuelcatalyst.co.uk/products/spitfire-multispark

Great car! I’ve yet to see one in my area. I agree on the 3rd speed at 50 mph. It feels like it wants 4th. Yet could the 218 maintain a decent speed  in 4th at 55-60?

I have OD in my latest 3 speed old Mopar. Its nice. However, I don’t travel at hi-way speeds very often. My OD is interesting in that when engaged, it free-wheels when you let off the throttle. No hold back. 

Have fun with your new project, getting it all sorted. We look forward to updates. 

Edited by keithb7
H

An r 10 is setup to freewheel at speeds under 30 mph according to the literature I have seen.  Mine drops into freewheel mode at just about that speed.  The other thing I have noticed is that when it is freewheeling, I can downshift into 1st with little or no gear grind, like having a synchro.  

My 46 business coupe is a deluxe so it was really a base model.  According to paperwork I saw. It has three options,

Cigarette lighter,$3.26, model 36 heater $16.25; passenger side interior survivor, $2.89.  Some where along the line aftermarket turn signals. According to the registration paperwork in the car the vehicle weight was 2779 pounds.  Other things mine doesn't have armrests and door switch for the dome light,

Calling them three passenger is being generous. Not really enough hip room for three adults. Especially modern sized adults.

Mine is a Royal, so cheapest Chrysler. It came with Vacamatic transmission (M4), Arm rest, fuel filter, LK gas cap, Spc springs, GL. part, WHL shields, LG tubes, Tires, Gear ratio, Elec CL, Exh system, Wet battery, N. Car Serc

I haven't yet figured out out half of these mean.

SO order has 4 punctures and here also no clue what it means. 

My favourite 3 window designs are the 1935 to 1937 Hupmobile Aero Coupes designed by Raymond Loewy who really created some of the nicest styles in existence to this day. They are not an easily acquired automobile and usually command six figures. A Mopar 3 window brings such elegance at way lower spending coupon level. M

PS put a 42 de Soto 3 pane in front of me and the choice would be impossible!

Edited by Marcel Backs
  • Like 3

Marcel,

I love those Hupmobile Aeros. A guy in my local club has one. It's currently not running, but all there and the sheet metal and glass are beautiful. The photos I've seen don't do them justice. Another guy in the club has a 1913 Hup Torpedo, but that's a different story.

Pete

• Like 1

Raymond Lowey is still with us!

President Kennedy had him design the paint scheme for Air Force One and it is so timeless we've kept it for 60 years!

Lowey was most associated with Studebaker and contributed mightily to the highest production numbers in company history.

Bad management was able to overcome his best efforts and take down Packard as well...

• Like 2

Also the coke bottle, the lucky strike logo, the GG1 electric locomotive, the Shell oil logo, the old coke fountain dispenser as seen at Woolwrths lunch counters,, streamlined cladding for several railroads locomotives,  about 25 other corporate logos, several counter top radios.  Several hand held hair dryers and a couple toasters.