Shock reloaction 54 Plymouth Savoy

GMAS54

I did the conversion on my '54 Savoy....can send pictures if needed.

I've seen the old topics on this issue and did the relocation using the Ford 150 mounts...placed in the Monroe 555004 shocks as someone stated they used....when going over just cracks in the roads it seems like a very hard bang appears...sure not like the old ride with the original shocks....does anyone have suggestions what might be the issue or a different shock to be used ?

Appreciate any feedback. 

Don't know that measurement...will need to get that later this morning...I'm a novice at this....the measurement I'm looking for is that while its on the hoist with wheels hanging free ?

that is not how it is established....ideally you wish to have a tad of travel over max extension and max drop to prevent bottoming the shock internally.  This usually involves measurements with the spring and sway bars if equipped, upper and lower rebound  bumpers removed from the vehicle.  I am sure you not prepared to go this in depth.  You picked a shock from a suggestion and have no idea if your set up is as his and further you have no clue even to the fact his was set up right...you can ball park your establish assembled movement by full drop weight off (eye to eye)....and full compression jacking the suspension while keeping the chassis from lifting...(eye to eye) add on each end a small amount of travel to prevent bottoming.  The shock does not lift the suspension...it just takes the oscillation out of the spring...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1