What is the correct engine color for the 41-48 Chrysler engines? I thought it was silver?

MarcDeSoto

On the Facebook, Windsor group page, it shows a guy who painted his post war Chrysler engine red.  He said that was the factory color.  I've always thought it was silver with the Spitfire script in red.  Am I wrong?  Then, some who called himself an expert said all of the 41-42 Chrysler engines were red, block and head.  I think it does show that color in the color brochure, but was that true on the actual engines?  

The only motors that I have seen in other colours than silver are Chrysler ones. I believe that all other marques in the Chrysler stable used aluminum as the engine colour. How is the progress on your old de Soto Marc? Hope all is 100 percent and going straight ahead! M

It should be aluminum (silver).

However, I have seen some red/blue heads but that is not from the factory.

Also, the "SPITFIRE" script was not red from the factory. It was just aluminum (silver) - same as the block and oil pan.

Some owners like to paint the "SPITFIRE" script to make it stand out.

I agree with you guys, but on the Windsor Facebook page a guy is saying he has collected 41-42 Chryslers for decades and the engines, block and head, are almost always red.  And several others gave him the thumbs up.  He also says he's presdent of the Town and Country car club and knows of which he speaks.  Pictured is a 42 Chrysler Windsor engine.  

42chrysler.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joecoozie said:

It should be aluminum (silver).

However, I have seen some red/blue heads but that is not from the factory.

Also, the "SPITFIRE" script was not red from the factory. It was just aluminum (silver) - same as the block and oil pan.

Some owners like to paint the "SPITFIRE" script to make it stand out.

!00% correct but pre war did try other silver combination like DeSoto 1937, watch video

Even the early V8s where same color

@MarcDeSoto Watch this official Chrysler video. You'll see several Aluminum painted engines

DeSoto 1937

1941 ..png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrysler1941 said:

!00% correct but pre war did try other silver combination like DeSoto 1937, watch video

Even the early V8s where same color

@MarcDeSoto Watch this official Chrysler video. You'll see several Aluminum painted engines

I thought this was settled as silver in other threads earlier, and I am thinking about this too for my Dodge truck engine that a previous owner painted Red, but I would like to repaint 2000 degree Silver.  

See the nice table for plymouths here -- https://p15-d24.com/topic/50095-proper-engine-paint-color-for-a-41-dodge/

Whenever you think you know the answer, it seems there is a contrary example. In the Desoto video (fascinating how they make the body) at 1:14, they lower "just in time" the Desoto power plant that seems to be both Silver and some dark color. 

Here's a discussion on this site from the early days of 2006 with @JBNeal @Merle Coggins and @Don Coatney

https://p15-d24.com/topic/511-silver-engine-paint/

Getting into this hobby, I always had a bit of internal pressure to try to get it "original", but I think there are certain things that can keep the car original and experience the same while also satisfying some internal design satisfaction, or functional necessity to make the object not only beautiful but also very functional. 

In the end, do what you want that makes you happy. 

image.png.a3925f3915d0cf15d65ff4b907a8b25e.png

• Like 1

The engine in the 47 P15 is reddish.  The PO said that they put a rebuilt short block in the car when they pulled it out of a field in the mid 70's.  

At the last cruise night one of the people looking at the car said the engine was red because the PO got the rebuilt engine from Sears or something like that.  Has anyone heard of this?  One of these days I'll clean up the engine compartment and paint the engine silver.

1 hour ago, Kilgore47 said:

Has anyone heard of this?  

Yes, rebuilders often painted the engines in their "own" colors.  I.e., Sears rebuilds (marketed as replacements) were a red color.  And Chrysler products dealers often obtained replacement engines from other companies.  Just me, but I have doubts that any original flat 6 MoPar engine was other than silver.  I've never seen an original engine that wasn't.  Although I imagine there are some quirks out there for various reasons.  I also take "experts" with a grain of salt.  I know many that are mistaken on some things, but because they are "experts", they refuse to acknowledge it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

I also take "experts" with a grain of salt.  I know many that are mistaken on some things, but because they are "experts", they refuse to acknowledge it.

100% correct

@wagoneer More and more video appear on YT disproving experts. Same goes for publicization of military's technical material. Many new specialty tools, specifications, adjustments and the eternal 1942/46 discussions with my other non MoPar car has also proved them wrong.

historic photos and documents carry much weight...YT is not so much a factor in authenticity as the cars these people are showing are used and they are but one of many owners since new....what could and did happen to these cars over their lifetime cannot be documented.  It is therefore an avenue that can be argued both ways.  Even with this we know some facts in the books are incorrect.  Much gets changed, added and flat out not shown in some documents as the books often are off to be printed before the car hit the showroom floor...last minute details are thus omitted.  The number matching game is also slippery slope...I have stumped that panel on more than one occasion and tons of questions that never can been proven one way or the other.  Some of the gurus say it is not so....but at the same time that cannot say why it is not so....and further cannot even pin point the part number to any one make model or year.  

Seems like silver was standard engine color even on the early hemis. I love these old videos showing the assembly lines.

Why do we have such a hard time putting our vehicles together, taking them apart? Come on gentlemen and ladies! if Chrysler can build an engine, a whole car, while it's moving, we shouldn't have any problem while it's standing still, right?

Chrysler may have created some small batch engine colors, but I'm betting the accounting department made sure they bought millions of gallons of aluminum paint 

image.png.e887d765dd97569c130ca4aaee4d27b3.png

image.png.ffa5c3899b3ab2edcecabfb11e8fc5bd.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4slGC_WpFwU&t=436s

Here is a chassis of the B2B -- Looks pretty silver to me. Interesting light accent on the air cleaner. Also, notice the silver oil filler tube. These seem to comport to the specs for the Plymouth table. 

image.png.8f64f75d77b07f9adb4a43167f027fe2.png

Edited by wagoneer

On 6/5/2021 at 9:22 AM, Dan Hiebert said:

Yes, rebuilders often painted the engines in their "own" colors.  I.e., Sears rebuilds (marketed as replacements) were a red color.  And Chrysler products dealers often obtained replacement engines from other companies.  Just me, but I have doubts that any original flat 6 MoPar engine was other than silver.  I've never seen an original engine that wasn't.  Although I imagine there are some quirks out there for various reasons.  I also take "experts" with a grain of salt.  I know many that are mistaken on some things, but because they are "experts", they refuse to acknowledge it.

The really early ones were black block silver head but I think that ended in 37

I'm going add to the confusion LOL

After scanning all my brochures and workshop manuals, I'm not so sure about engine and transmission color.

Workshop manuals form 1937-51 all show silver color engine, except the 8, It has a dark block. See text about oil pressure relief.

Brochures are not real documentation, looks like artist was on something while drawing 42 engine :)

Personally, the above film from 41 factory and 1925 and 1954 Plymouth factory photo is proof enough aluminum is correct, at least for my model.

6 vs 8

1359019826_Screenshot2021-06-07160400.png.33dd7099a560a45f28c49a995d324c09.png1451241714_Screenshot2021-06-07160436.png.6c9b15a7939b36d824467b5306b11ac5.png

Factory photo

54.png.92009ac8ab83651171ba17411532b6cc.png1386737901_Dodge1925.jpg.30970ebfc96089367ecf2521536544b9.jpg

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

a brochure tends to lend the artist too many creative liberties.....

As proven by the last two pics above of Spitfire engines.  Different oil pan mount and ribbing on the block.

Drawings, not pictures, they are artist's renderings so contain some 'imagination'.

Edited by kencombs

To further add confusion - I was under the impression that the Industrial engines were red - hence the Chrysler Industrial Red that you can buy in the paint isle today. Many of the industrial ads also showed red engines. Granted those are ads and not actual photos. I'm also pretty sure they would paint an industrial engine any color you wanted if you ordered enough of them. 

That red "Spitfire" engine with the red ribbing on the bottom of the block looks industrial in origin. 660563692_ChryslerEngines.jpg.7c7d45302cb13ab066e3257f68823eb8.jpg

PXL_20210319_011058044-01.jpeg.c58533dcc05537b1deb493ba6111486d.jpeg

I mean, if *everybody's* engine and trans was painted, wouldn't there be *some* transmissions and engines that have at least some of the original paint color surviving. Is the paint on the engine so poor that it would have completely deteriorated after 75 years of heat cycles? I'm going with 1000 degree Grill black, and 2000 degree aluminum silver for the block/trans.

This is a bit like finding an original Mopar battery... everybody knows it existed, but nobody can find a good sample of the original.

• Like 1