Going back to 1948 (road trip)

Sam Buchanan

Many of you have made long trips in your old Mopars but Memorial Day was the first time I've taken the P15 outside our local county. It was a beautiful late spring day and perfect for pointing the old car north on US 31 for the ninety-mile trip to Franklin, TN to visit the grand-daughter and family.

US 31 was the primary route for traveling between Nashville and Birmingham before the creation of I-65. The highway passes a quarter mile from my house and I was able to drive it all the way to Franklin without ever leaving the old road. The highway passes through wonderful valleys and gaps as it winds its way through the Tennessee hills and cuts through the historic downtowns of Pulaski and Columbia.

The old car was perfectly behaved and proved to be a most comfortable ride. The bias-ply tires tend to follow irregularities in the pavement so more attention is needed than with a modern car. But 55 mph was perfect and the water temp stayed at 170F even when pulling some significant grades through gaps in the foothills. Here we are arriving in Franklin:

And of course, here is the future driver of the P15:

5-31-2021b.jpg.426d86cfa6f58307fe378716e0406431.jpg

• Like 15

Lifelong memories being made for that young lady! 

A friend gave me a Rand McNally from the fifties that had belonged to his parents; in it they had marked out in colored pencil all the routes for their annual vacations. Quite interesting to imagine some of those trips pre-interstate. 

Agree-they were meant to be driven, and what pleasure they can bring!

The longest drive I’ve taken with my B3B truck is 277 miles one way. Major modifications include front disc Brakes, 3:73 differential, 15” radial tires, lowered 2” front and rear. I easily cruise at 65 but usually just stay with the semis.

It’s a great feeling to lock the foot and let it hum. So much more fun than a new car where the engine is not heard. I have a T5 transmission that will go in this coming winter, that will solve the problem of the large range between 2nd and 3rd especially on a long grade. 
   So that’s some of what I enjoy. I’m from central California. 

3 minutes ago, pflaming said:

The longest drive I’ve taken with my B3B truck is 277 miles one way. Major modifications include front disc Brakes, 3:73 differential, 15” radial tires, lowered 2” front and rear. I easily cruise at 65 but usually just stay with the semis.

Just glad to hear from you  Paul. Hope your move is going well.

We are in Bath Maine, on a piece of dirt on the bank of the Kennebec River. This is stage one of two stages. Will return to Calif for the winter to complete and sell the Suburban and the Empi Sportster. Will ship the truck to Maine and restore and drive my ‘ 53 coupe with overdrive out.  At an average of 350 miles a day, with stops along the way, will take 20+ days.

enoh! All have a great summer!