Whatever happened to?

Dodge City

Whatever happened to chaste relationships ?

Whatever happened to cinders on the road after a snow fall?

Whatever happened to leaving your doors unlocked?

Whatever happened to kids playing outside all by themselves?
Whatever happened to self discipline? 

• Thanks 1

I was a Cub Scout back in the day and I miss what happened in the Cub Scouts & the Boy Scouts in this new era.

But what brought this to mind was not my past love of scouting, but the lyrics of Tom Lehrer’s famous “scouting” song: Be Prepared.

(I’m not going to type them out here, because they’re not entirely family friendly.)

Edited by Ulu

On 6/18/2021 at 6:53 PM, JerseyHarold said:

Are you talking about John Valby (aka Dr. Dirty)?  I saw him a few times when I lived in Buffalo.  Very funny but not for polite ears!

Never heard of him, but will now surely hear from him.

On 6/19/2021 at 6:31 AM, greg g said:

Victor Borga? 

Or

Dr. Irwin Corry

I forgot about those Two clowns. Particularly Irwin, but did he sing?

I just remember him doing this nutty “scientific” jargon that nobody could follow. 

What ever happened to wealthy Americans moving to California?

(they loaded up the truck and they moved to Beverly)

Edited by Ulu

Whatever happened to creaky wood floors in un-air conditioned businesses, 5 cent Cokes in machines that only dispensed Coca Cola, or screen doors with advertising painted on the screens at grocery stores? Bunny Bread was a big one around home. The sound of a screen door spring is something you never forget.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 10:15 AM, MackTheFinger said:

Whatever happened to creaky wood floors in un-air conditioned businesses, 5 cent Cokes in machines that only dispensed Coca Cola, or screen doors with advertising painted on the screens at grocery stores? Bunny Bread was a big one around home. The sound of a screen door spring is something you never forget.

Great description. That really hits home. remember I was born in 1962 ... so 67 or 69? I remember going to the local store where they had two gas pumps outside. They no longer sold gas, the pumps had the glass upper portion and too old to operate back then. The store had the old wooden floors that was worn uneven from traffic. I remember the penny candy we could get.

Yes also the screen door and signs in front of the store.

I remember the trips to the garbage dump on Saturdays and me running around looking for things to haul home while dad empty the old 40's international truck out. Stopping by the store on the way home for penny candy.

Sunday we went to the church behind the store. A few blocks down was the school. I actually met my wife there in 2nd grade. We never married til later ... just funny we went to school together.

• Like 1

we had a small store owner that I to this day cannot understand why we kids were even permitted in or for that matter about the store.  It was your typical rural wooden floor store...we kids would get a bottle of pop or maybe a couple pieces of candy...then we would sit on the front porch and dangle our feet drumming the metal RC cola and Nehi signs to beat the band...boy were we noisy...this guy opened the store in winter extremely early so the children from the various hollows who would walk to the store to catch the school bus....they never had to wait in the cold...the girls had a mirror for them to put the final touches on hair and make up....looking back....the man was  a saint.

• Like 2

We had a little wood floor store in our town on the Chesapeake bay.

Was run by a really nice couple that lived right across the street from us.

The store had 3 one armed bandits (slot machines to you non gamblers)

as did almost every establishment in  Southern Md. We don't have to 

wonder what ever happened to them.  They're all lying on the bottom

of the bay!

Back when I was a much younger man there was an old time hardware store in a small older retail area near my parents home.  Called Kelly Hardware it was rumored that Noah had bought some of the hardware for the Ark there but the records were lost in the Flood.  Old dark building with the mandatory squeaky wood floor. They had parts for almost anything and everything a medium sized town might need.  My parents lived in a very old house with very old outdated plumbing and electric.  Whenever my Dad or later me went there for a part they always found something that would work.  Not to mention that a couple of the old guys must have around during the Spanish American war as they looked ancient to me in the 70’s. The building is still standing and has gone through a couple of transformations since the hardware closed in the 1980’s.  Miss those type of places a lot.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

There's still some good current country music out there for those who like it...

624004442_Screenshot(678).png.2ed12d577fd9f50f47f0b92454a0ac26.png

• Like 1

You Canadians have some real good cowboy stuff in a singer named Corb Lund!

His song Horse Soldier and video is well written and sung. I wanta be in the cavalry is great too!

Keep punching those cows and singing them good songs...

• Like 1

Corb Lund has some good songs I enjoy listening to... Here is another from Colter Wall...

image.png.a9b8d554aa0736720254435278cc0bba.png