Whatever happened to?

Dodge City

I missed the foot clutch, manual shifting and the sound of an engine until I restored my B3B truck.

I miss the sound of a two cylinder John Deere.

even miss milking a cow by hand., 

miss home grown fried chicken! 

Miss milk, cream etc delivered to our front door

Miss formations Of 40, bombers and p38’s during WWII being ferried from Detroit to West coast,but don’t miss the war with the ration of fuel, rubber, sugar, while flour, don’t miss the loss of so many young men and women

miss the great steam engines 

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, greg g said:

They did big band stuff, 40s nonsense songs, vocal classics, jazz, movie themes, show tunes, early rock and ethnic music. 

That had to be a good time. There's still a bandstand in the center of a circle on the main street of the town my shop's in. There's a band performance on Independence Day and sometimes a local band will play there. 

I LOVE live music!! Over the years I've seen everyone from The Allman Brothers to ZZ Top live and fronted various cover bands until it started interfering with what most people call "real life". Don't get me wrong, I love studio stuff, too; but when a really good musician or band is cooking live the studio stuff is as flat and lifeless as a Coca Cola that's been sitting open in the sun for a week.. 

At one time I had a higher tolerance for live music...not sure where/when it turned sour on me but will take a good stab at 1976....Oh I can tolerate it at such functions like a large social event like the reunion...and I probably have attended my last one of those.   Nothing to do with getting older as much as it is getting on with what "I" want out of life now that I am retired.

You might need to check for a reflection in the mirror.. Your soul may have left your body and you don't realize it. ?

I've worked full time since 1970. Most of those years were 100% on my own terms, though; and I did what I wanted whether I should have or not. The last 12 years or so I've become, as Bob Seger said; "a spoke in a great big wheel, a tiny blade of grass in a great big field." But the pay and benefits are good, the "work" is easy, I'm on my own schedule and nobody second guesses my decisions. Life is good..

I am not so sure if the soul left the body or that in my later years some things now have a good deal more importance to me.   Looking back over my work career....I have no complaints...I have led a very 'pampered' life in the work arena with little to no exposure to the elements.  I am glad you enjoy what you are doing in your job...that is most important to success and sanity.

On 6/2/2021 at 7:33 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

How many here actually have talked using a hand crank phone...(not military battle field)

Ours wasn't connected to the public telephone service, but we had one in our house where we lived till i was 9.  We didn't have a 'real' telephone, so this one just ran a quarter mile to my grandparent's hose, on the other side of the farm.  We kids weren't suppose to mess with it, but when Dad was away at work and mom went shopping with grandpa & grandma (before my mom got her license, and Dad bought a second car) we would get a chair outside under the telephone line, and one of us hang onto the wire while someone else cranked the telephone, seeing who could stand to hang on the longest.  (It was like an electric fence, giving a low-voltage shock.)

When I was growing up there north of Tulsa. there was a "old-timer's" retro station in Sand Springs (I don't recall the call letters) that played Western Swing.  Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys, Johnny Bond, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Red Foley, Frankie Yonkovick, etc.  Some of those musicians got their start right there in Tulsa, at the Cain's Ballroom.

Other What Ever Happened To stuff:

Sunday afternoon drives, with no particular destination in mind.

Sunday afternoon visits to friends, just dropping in w/o an invitation or any notice.

Going to watch a prairie grass fire - I saw a fire jump over the road once when I was still a kid.  Or going to watch a house fire.  Saw one where the siding was all burned off, and just the glowing studs and rafters, right before it all collapsed.

Walking bare foot in the furrow behind the tractor.

Taking garden produce over to a new neighbor, to give them a country welcome.

Edited by Eneto-55
  • Like 1

similar set up we had...before Ma Bell come to the area....we had one that was connected to our neighbor back of the house and up the hollow.    We would talk on this...they had kids my age.  I have that very same phone as a decorator piece hanging in the entrance foyer....better yet I knew the original owner of this thing and I have her original pump organ also in the same entrance hall.....dang.....maybe I am getting old.... 

26 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

At one time I had a higher tolerance for live music..

I can relate to this. When I was younger I went to many concerts. The Who, Metalica, think I seen ZZ Top 6 times Probably at least 50 concerts by time was 20.

The one I remember the most was the old 1 hit wonder Peter Frampton. As far as I know they only produced one album. They were the opening act for the band we paid to see. Nobody had heard of the band ... we were there to hear some rock & roll. So when they introduced some dude named Peter ... it was brutal ... crowd wanted to get the clown off the stage.  Was the Seattle Coliseum & a big crowd. Foot stomping, BOOO's just noise to chase them off the stage ... Took about 45 seconds to shut everyone up.

Peter  started the mouth organ, which nobody heard before & he was good at it, Who ever ran the sound board was just as talented. They had the mouth organ sound, running in circles, then jumping from side to side, The person who ran the mixer board was very Talented and Frampton just sounded better live then studio.

By the time they were done, The main act came on, Now they were BOO'ed just as bad and they wanted Framptom back ... may have been last time they were a opening act for another band. I honestly can talk about Frampton all day, but cant remember who we even went to see. We were kids and had to save our money for tickets, was only top bands we would go see.

If we had a machine that could transport me today back in time to that exact concert ... I would have to pass.

Is not the live music I lost interest in, is people. Wife cant even get me to go to the local cafe for dinner ... I do not want to eat with strangers. No way you get me to go to a concert.

Now if you could transport me back to a empty coliseum and had the concert just for me, I might go  :P

My earliest remembrance of a phone was 1970 we just moved off the farm and had a party line ... our # started with ph5

7 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

little to no exposure to the elements

That's something I can't say after 37+ years in the sun, wind, and rain. I've dropped from the heat a couple of times, broke a tibia, got knocked out by a ladder once, and managed to get in a couple of fistfights along the way. As a laborer I once knew said, it's "The rough and tumble, never say die life of a professional bricklayer!"

Nobody in the business I work in today has any concept of what I'd call "work". For that and a few other reasons I don't really respect any of them. I'll hang in as long as it feels right and nobody asks me to get a shave or a haircut. In other words, I could stop working any day!! ?

6 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Peter Frampton

My wife says we saw him once way back when but I sure don't remember it. If there was anyone left worth going to see that didn't cost an arm and a leg for tickets I'd be there. What do I care about other people? They haven't changed in the 70 years I've been around. ?

I don't miss the past and wouldn't want to relive it. I do miss some of my family and friends who aren't around anymore but otherwise I'm satisfied with now.

Edited by MackTheFinger
  • Like 1

I had a lovely girlfriend who gave me Frampton's LP I'm in You, when it was on the top 40.

I thought it was kind of sappy. Teenage girl heart throb stuff...

I was a weekend country band roadie, and much more interested in country jazz and jazz-rock.

In the 1990's I took a 5 year hiatus from all popular music. I listened to nothing but classical and classical influenced music.

I built a huge CD collection in that time. 

On 6/3/2021 at 8:56 PM, Los_Control said:

errr what I meant to say .... we have become our Grandparents.

...It  is possible. Ray Stevens explains it quite well in the song, "I'm My Own Grandpa".?

1289826476_ImMyOwnGrandpa(2).png.af1f7f2e80c798e199b952c201b4d912.png

I miss cheerful comic music like Roger Miller and Ray Stevens wrote.

Every now and then I will put on England Swings or Ahab the Arab?

Who remembers the nutty math prof that played piano and sang stuff like The Wienerschnitzel Waltz ? The Old Dope Peddler ? Poisoning Pigeons in the Park ? I Got It From Agnes ?

Anybody? (No cheatin' googlers, ya hear!)

Edited by Ulu

12 hours ago, Ulu said:

I miss cheerful comic music like Roger Miller and Ray Stevens wrote.

Every now and then I will put on England Swings or Ahab the Arab?

Who remembers the nutty math prof that played piano and sang stuff like The Wienerschnitzel Waltz ? The Old Dope Peddler ? Poisoning Pigeons in the Park ? I Got It From Agnes ?

Anybody? (No cheatin' googlers, ya hear!)

Tom Lehrer.

I have a Russian friend that about wet himself when I played Lehrers' Lobachevsky for him.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

@Ulu.......you need to listen to the album by Bobby Bare as he performs the song written by Shel Silverstein.....album is   Lullaby's Legends and Lies   you can check these out on You Tube....  Bet you would like  Rosalie`s Good Eats Cafe  

That is my 2nd favorite.  The winner is "The Winner".

On 6/14/2021 at 7:34 PM, Ulu said:

Are you talking about John Valby (aka Dr. Dirty)?  I saw him a few times when I lived in Buffalo.  Very funny but not for polite ears!

On 6/15/2021 at 5:21 AM, cheesy said:

Tom Lehrer.

I have a Russian friend that about wet himself when I played Lehrers' Lobachevsky for him.

Dis I know from nothing! Vhat I’m going to do?

Dingdingding! It was Tom Lehrer.