Whatever happened to?

Dodge City

Just wanted to start a fun thread that would test our memories a little bit, and hopefully make for interesting reading.

This could be something like Whatever happened to ashtrays in cars, or pledge of allegiance in schools, or maybe an old forum member that had passed on etc. 

Little Willie from the mirror
Licked all the mercury off
Thinking in his childish error
It would cure his whooping cough.
At the funeral, Willie's mother
sadly said to Mrs. Brown,
"Twas a chilly day for Willie
When the mercury went down!"

you not getting your fix from licking chrome bumper I hope.....

Whatever happened to handing out poppy's for Veterans day or was it Memorial day.

Whatever happened to Country music, now they put a cowboy hat on a hippie and call it country.

Whatever happened to S and H Green stamps.

Whatever happened to 5and dime stores.

What ever happened to yard darts.

What ever happened to building a car that rides good.

Whatever happened to neighborhood get togethers.

Whatever happened to making teenage children work. 

The pledge is still done in my school district. At least it was before remote schooling.

I still get Poppies every year. There is usually one on the handlebar of one of my bikes.

Country music? As an old hippie, though funny, that was an insult to old hippies everywhere. We’d rather party with Willie, ? while listening to The Man in Black. I think it’s failed rappers. Those kids are too young to be hippies.

I don’t miss dialing 0 to make a long distance call but we can blame ourselves for the demise of many things we miss.

dialing 0 for long distance assist...wow that did outlast the P A R T Y line.....our first phone was if I recall an 8 party line...I think our ring in was two shorts and a long   Now I am both dating myself and hinting at the very rural area I grew up...and they say better days are coming.....BS, better days are long behind us.  How many here actually have talked using a hand crank phone...(not military battle field)

49 minutes ago, cheesy said:

"...dialing 0 to make a long distance call..."

I miss telephones with a REAL dial! I love the click-click-click sound they make as they return after each number is dialed. I also like the old movies where someone runs into a phone booth and dials a call. Usually after "dropping a nickle."

I found a guy online who restores old dial phones. We got a wall dial phone from him in our kitchen. Works great when the power is out. (We don't have cell coverage at our rural Vermont house. That's a good thing.)

Until a couple of years ago there was a local road sign indicating there was a pay phone up ahead.

Do kids still say "dial" when they call someone on their smart phone? Do they even know where "dial" comes from?

Pete

On 6/2/2021 at 6:33 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

dialing 0 for long distance assist...wow that did outlast the P A R T Y line.....our first phone was if I recall an 8 party line...I think our ring in was two shorts and a long   Now I am both dating myself and hinting at the very rural area I grew up...and they say better days are coming.....BS, better days are long behind us.  How many here actually have talked using a hand crank phone...(not military battle field)

I remember party lines.  My Uncle had one, we OTOH didn't even have a phone.  However I am a whippersnapper compared to PA, lol.

A better question than "What happened to country music" is "What happened to rock and roll?"

My favorite country band is The Rolling Stones.. Yeah, I hear ya; so all you guys with pearl snaps on your shirts and your names on your tooled leather belts listen to "Dead Flowers" a couple of times before you tell me The Stones ain't a country band..?

P.S. I heard "Stand By Your Man" by Tammy Wynette on the radio today and had to call my wife. Cause after all, I'm just a man...

Edited by MackTheFinger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MackTheFinger said:

A better question than "What happened to country music" is "What happened to rock and roll?"

Pretty much just life ... Some elders did not like the Rock & Roll of the 50's ... Pure devil music.

Then we had the music of the 60's. Then 70's .. 80's 90s 2000's

Not saying if it is right or wrong, just saying our grandparents never liked our music in the 50's-60's, nothing has changed in the 2000's

7 hours ago, Los_Control said:

errr what I meant to say .... we have become our Grandparents.

To quote Jimmy Buffett,

We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About

My Dad, now 86, is a big fan of 40s thru 70s country music, but every now and then, I hear him slip in some Who or Stones.

Sometimes I think was born in the wrong decade. born in 1962, basically grew up in the 70;s-80's ... 14 years old at the roller skating rink skating to disco   :(

My generation of music sucked ... Lucky I had older brothers and sisters and listened to the classic 60's-70's

23 minutes ago, greg g said:

Well, I would be on the porch in the rocker having Hotel California as an ear worm. 

I love the live version of it ... was it the "hell freezes over tour"?  I have it on my hard drive listen to it often in the garage along with Lynard skynard , Uriah heep, yardbirds ... I got some good tunes ... shuffle & play and open the garage door so can listen while out in the yard ... I mix it in with some of the 80's hard rock.  Alice in chains, Nirvana, Metalica ... modern Nightwish  ... And lots of country, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton ... sure the neighbors think I am nuts.  :D

Never really a fan of real hard stuff, but it all makes the rocking world go round. I even check into RFD TV to catch a bit of Molly B`s 

Polka Party  in honor of my mother's folks.  Ana one Ana two.  Whoop chip, chip!

• Like 2

I kind of miss my tiny 1962 pocket transistor radio. It essentially served the same purpose in my life then, as this $$$$ iPhone Pro that I’m looking at.

The cost of my entertainment has gone up considerably. ;)

That cheapest of PX radios was an RCA miracle, that somehow only cost my mom four dollars. That means that she gave up a minimum 3 cartons of Kent cigarettes to buy it. I think king size Kents were ~$1.19 a carton at the PX back then. Camels or Lucky strikes were 99 cents a carton. Shortys with no filters.

The price went up only slightly before I started smoking 10 years later, in 1972. I haven’t smoked for 13 years now, and I don’t miss it at all, but it is kind of amazing what has happened over the past half-century. 

I was a fan of big band or country swing music as a child and also Johnny Cash, Hank Williams and Elvis.  Roger Williams. Johnny Horton.

I miss surf music.

Also show tunes. I miss the big Broadway show tunes, instead of all this limp/prickly stuff that we have nowadays.

Also I have been putting aside the  surround-sound system for a more classic two-channel stereo approach. I definitely spend more time listening to my two channel equipment from the 70s, although I may often be playing YouTube through it.

I own a big collection of classic jazz LPs which belonged to my mother. I’ve only listened to a fraction of them.

They are all in terrific shape because she bought them often but played them infrequently. She always wanted to listen to the television or play with the Atari/Nintendo/whatever instead.

Edited by Ulu
  • Like 1

The city parks and rec folks used to do Friday night dancing  under the stars on a skating rink in the summer.  The music was provided by  the Stan Collela Orchastra.  They did big band stuff, 40s nonsense songs, vocal classics, jazz, movie themes, show tunes, early rock and ethnic music.  Crowd ranged from teens to seniors, all having a great.  It was like a big fat ( Insert ancestors ethnic origin here) wedding every Friday throughout the summer.

https://www.stancolellaorchestra.com/history