Me and the American

Worden18

It seems that the Polish car world embraced the Rambler enough to emulate it. Produced in Warsaw by FSO from 59 to 75 or so looks very much z knock off.  The Syrina 120 was powered by a very SAAB like 3 cylinder 2 stroke.  Apparently these cars are enjoying a resurgence of interest in the EU as entry level collector cars.

https://www.theparking.eu/used-cars-detail/fso-syrena-105/0IBOO468.html

• Like 1

When I got asked to do a burnout in my 1-ton after I got it roadworthy enough to drive it into town, I told that whackadoo that would involve letting the smoke out of the ancient wiring that I had not replaced at that point :cool:

• Haha 1

8-3:

Drove the car to work again this morning.  A truck driver stopped to deliver some steel and checked out the American.  He said he drove a 46 Dodge truck to high school.  He's in his 70s.

IMG_20210803_074904048_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210803_074913466_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210803_074918027~2.jpg

I always loved the Ramblers. I first drove a manual transmission on a 1969 American.

What a mess, jacked up in the rear with chrome wheels, air shocks ... shifter converted to the floor and connected backwards. Seems like 1rst gear was where 3rd should be, and 1rst was where reverse would be ... I dunno was 14 years old and cant remember.

I  bought a 1962 American from a lady on my paper route for $65. Ran great but needed a new clutch/pressure plate.

It had a Torque tube rear end ... a learning experience for a 14 year old kid.

But I did get to drive it after I worked on it .... notice I did not claim to "fix it"

Always a soft spot in my heart for a Rambler.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

8-17-21:

Drove the American to work the last 2 days.  I've driven 220 miles on this tank of gas so far... stopped to put some gas in after work  just because.  5.5 gallons gave me 1/2 a tank?!?

I think I'm getting decent mileage just tooling around town.

IMG_20210817_163454290~2.jpg

Is that the speedo numbered 0 through 9 to zero again? Must be. I’ve just never seen one labeled like that.  

How far up the speedo have you taken her? Has she seen the big 6 yet? That’s probably nearing my comfort zone in an old car such your American. 

8 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Is that the speedo numbered 0 through 9 to zero again? Must be. I’ve just never seen one labeled like that.  

How far up the speedo have you taken her? Has she seen the big 6 yet? That’s probably nearing my comfort zone in an old car such your American. 

Speedo is 10mph off because of modern radials.  So I've had it at the 7 mark, which is 60mph.  It did fine.  More comfortable at 30-40mph around town at "metro" speeds ?

That was kind of a trade mark deal with American motors. Our drivers Ed cars were Rambler classics.  Their speedos were marked the same way. Wonder how much money the saved by not printing the zeros.?  If you wanted to drive a standard shift car,, there was one 63 American with three on the tree.  You couldn't drive it till you mastered the course with the automatic cars and had a score of 90 on the simulated road tests we took.

If I remember the original tires were 5.60 15 what have you put on?  My aunts 63 stationwagon with flathead three speed was pretty much done at 6.5. Had 7.5 indicated once trying to pass a truck on a two lane.  Lesson of the day? Stay behind the truck!

Edited by greg g

4 hours ago, greg g said:

Looking at the picture it looks like the compact Rambler is about the same size as the full sized cars next to it.

185/65 R15 is the tire size on my car.

I think my car is probably the same size as one of my coworker's Dodge dart.  I'm sure his car is heavier.  

My car has surprisingly good pickup with the automatic transmission. It will kick down into a lower gear when you gun it.  Of course the engine is rebuilt and so is the transmission, so that really helps.  I wouldn't be passing anybody on the highway unless it was a tractor or something like that! 

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sept. 1:

Still testing and driving the American.  Out for about a 30 mile round trip tonight.  Some in town stop and go, then a highway run.  Up a pretty long steep hill, and down another steep one.  Had plenty of power to easily go the speed limit up that hill at about 1/3 pedal.  The temp guage didn't move, which impressed and surprised me.  Flew over a couple different sets of railroad tracks; one at 30mph and one at 50mph, it did surprisingly well.  My son and I stopped for a sunset photoshoot.  Gosh it was a really nice cruise tonight ?

IMG_20210901_193211045_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210901_193220159_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210901_193231681_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice.  Speaking of RR tracks, my parents had a '62 Falcon when we were little that we kept well into its declining years.  It was me and by brother's job to keep an eye out the rear window when we went over RR tracks to see if any parts fell off.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You working on Volvos now?  Had a 122s we used to compete on road rallys.  Had an auto matic, swapped in a four speed.  Used it for a bit of ice racing also.  We called it Olaf the Slow.  Sold it to a College kid, for 2x what I paid for it, bought a. 69 142s.  

We have a guy in the area who has one like the above, he bought new when in Italy in the Army.  Had it shipped home when he was transferred back to the states.  Then he was sent to Germany, so Had it shipped there, then back here when tour ended.  It has 340000 miles on it, engine has never been out.  Head has been done a couple times and it on its third cam, the last one a lumpy one from IPD, but botton has never been touched.  He is also working on a p 1800 that has 275k on it.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

I have always like the PV544 and would love to have a Duett....but a Duett one needs deep pockets.  This car came along at a good price and close enough for a day trip retrieval.  Hey bucket seats, 4 on the floor, dual carbs, two doors and our favorite bolt pattern...5 x 4.5....what is not to like?    I see an Amazon wagon running about now and then probably the newest Volvo of interest to me.  Not many older Volvo cars in the area.  I like many cars that are not a dime a dozen at cruise ins.

• Like 1