Me and the American

Worden18

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share this brochure I picked up.  I like how they call the engine the "super flying scot".  Funny too how they make the car look roomy!?

IMG_20210608_184503551~2.jpg

IMG_20210608_184551158~3.jpg

IMG_20210608_184609515~3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

7-29-21:

Finally got the front brakes done.  I worked hard at it last night and tonight.  I'll have to bleed them all around again tomorrow, but they were working pretty good on tonight's test drive.  The brake lights and left blinker however are not working.  I have my work cut out for me tomorrow.  I have the day off. ?

The car is running really good though, and I'm impressed how smooth the engine is and how nicely it shifts.  

IMG_20210729_222737590~2.jpg

IMG_20210729_222823727~2.jpg

IMG_20210729_223002267~2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

Almost looks like an oversize version of my wife's Metropolitan. ? 

Yeah, that's basically what it is.  The American really helped AMC at that time (starting in '58) to be the only American car company not in the red.  From 58-60 sales of the American exploded.  Not sure how it did after 1960 as the article I read concentrated on those 3 years.

Your wife`s metro is actually more closely related to Tim`'s Austin America than it is to the. RAMBLER.  THE Metropolitan engine was a version of the ,Austin, Morris, MG A series that powered several versions of the Mini, the Austin Healey Sprite, MG Midget, Morris Minor, Austin America, and others.

https://www.aronline.co.uk/engines/engines-a-series/

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, greg g said:

Your wife`s metro is actually more closely related to Tim`'s Austin America than it is to the. RAMBLER.  THE Metropolitan engine was a version of the ,Austin, Morris, MG A series that powered several versions of the Mini, the Austin Healey Sprite, MG Midget, Morris Minor, Austin America, and others.

https://www.aronline.co.uk/engines/engines-a-series/

Yes. It was built by Austin for Nash/AMC. It has an Austin 1500cc engine. 

I really like the old bathtub Rambler and Nash because nothing else looks the same.

My friends dad had a rambler American years ago. It was a 1960s model. Anyhow he bought it without a radio and then he put an aftermarket radio in it but couldn’t figure out what to do with the antenna.

They knew I worked on radio, & so asked me if I would install an antenna.

I didn’t have a proper holesaw so I drilled about 40 tiny holes in his fender to make the cutout, and he showed up as I am drilling the 39th hole in his new car.

There were some very awkward moments until I knocked out the plug & stuck the antenna in the hole, and showed him it looked fine.

I never did put a new paint or anything around those raw edges under the gasket, and his fender probably had a nice rust spot there after two years.

• Haha 1

By the way, I have ridden around quite a bit in a ‘59 rambler.

0D005827-A0F8-403E-83C8-BD431EE0CA59.jpeg.f731f4fee21fbcfcaf07bb9f9a2a1ce6.jpeg

This is what Rambler was actually selling. The seats go all the way flat. The car is a rolling bed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ulu said:

This is what Rambler was actually selling. The seats go all the way flat. The car is a rolling bed.

It looks like you're going out with "leave it to beaver's" mom ?

By the way Barbara Billingsley would be about the same age as my mother, God rest her soul.

But when I was Beaver’s age that was the wife I wanted to marry someday. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ulu said:

I can't figure out how the seats in mine go back...if they do at all.

7-31:

Engelhardt Performance show today.  Free admission.  Free lunch (a good lunch, not hot dogs and chips; but pulled pork and the works).

Drag racing cars, burnout contests, etc.  Got to visit with 2 of my friends I hadn't seen in a while, and got to meet a lot of folks that were very interested in my car.  I couldn't believe how many people stopped to ask me questions about it.  It was a good day.

Some of my faves:

- a '41 Caddy

- rusty crusty Challenger

- a one of one Buick Riviera (sp) race car resurrected from the dead.

I didn't take any pics of the drag strip.  It was quite impressive with cars doing wheelies, shooting flames, and engine noises echoing thru the valley.  It was awesome!

You can see my car in pic 2.  Last pic...at my brother's house afterwards.

IMG_20210731_133241300_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210731_133303013_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210731_133910036_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210731_134225336_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210731_135541221_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210731_135854047_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210731_173740586_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

look like a good gathering....we had a local free show today but by the advertisement...this was mainly a dealership thing sporting the new models.....guess they figure folks don't know where their sales lots are.......I did not attend....new cars are not on my radar

It was good Plymouthy.  It was one of those things you attend that when it's over, you're quite satisfied.  The hosts are such gracious, humble people.  So much fun ?

21 hours ago, Worden18 said:

I can't figure out how the seats in mine go back...if they do at all.

As I recall, you have to push the seat all the way forward on the track, and when you do that, the seat back knob will allow you to lay the seat all the way down. I think it goes in two directions at that point.

This was 50 years ago, and someone else’s car, so my memory may be faulty.

10 minutes ago, Ulu said:

As I recall, you have to push the seat all the way forward on the track, and when you do that, the seat back knob will allow you to lay the seat all the way down. I think it goes in two directions at that point.

This was 50 years ago, and someone else’s car, so my memory may be faulty.

Okay, I'll try that!  Thanks ?

8-1:

Out teaching my son how to drive back behind the industrial park (no traffic at all).  Stopped to wash the windshield and grab some snacks.  I had been driving at that point.  ?

The little American runs smooth around town and at 55 on the Hwy.  Sure is fun to putz around in!?

IMG_20210801_201326380~2.jpg

IMG_20210801_201335726_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 4