Tool C-853 Overcenter Spring Gauge

maddmaxx1949

Hey all, I wanted to check my overcenter spring setting on my '49 so I read around a bit and saw someone had put a template in the downloads section. Well I made that and it ended up being for tool C-705 which is not applicable for mine...so an hour and a half spent for something I don't need. No problem there learned that it wouldn't work so knowledge gained. Does anyone have a template for tool C-853? or even some measurements and I'll make one?

There have been some posts about just using your leg to determine what feels right but I'd like to at least ballpark it with a gauge if I could. I'm not sure really what its supposed to be and I am cobbling the linkage together from a box of parts that came with the car so some piece of mind to me would be invaluable.

Side note, if anyone wants the gauge I made shoot me a pm I'll ship to the lower 48 for nothing.

20210526_204106.jpg

• Like 2

Per my DeSoto Manual, Gauge C-705 is for the post-war Mopars, S-11, to first series '49. (I made mine from foamboard, per the downloadable template.) 

Gauge C-853 is for Second Series '49, and '50 (S-13 and S-14).     Someone needs to download a template for the latter gauge  

Thanks Marc, let me know what you come up with.

Donald, do you know what is the cutoff for "first series" in 1949 or are those just the cars that were made under the Deluxe, Custom, etc. naming convention. I am unfamiliar with the '46 - '48/49. It would be good to know what separates the two so I don't repeat the same thing I just did.

Edit: Gauge I made is claimed at this time.

Edited by maddmaxx1949

Picture of C-853 is very different from C-705

Text on tool says:

Plymouth P-17 & 15 - All Eight & Six

Cylinder Cars With Fluid Drive

All Six Cylinder Cars Without Coupling

Except Plymouth P-17 - 15

image_2021-05-27_182802.png

26 minutes ago, chrysler1941 said:

Picture of C-853 is very different from C-705

Text on tool says:

Plymouth P-17 & 15 - All Eight & Six

Cylinder Cars With Fluid Drive

All Six Cylinder Cars Without Coupling

Except Plymouth P-17 - 15

image_2021-05-27_182802.png

Yeah that's the same picture I have in my manual and the one I'd like a template on. Just oversight on my part getting excited to get my rusty tub of lard rolling.

And thanks Donald that makes alot of sense. 

Edited by maddmaxx1949

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx1949 said:

Yeah that's the same picture I have in my manual and the one I'd like a template on. Just oversight on my part getting excited to get my rusty tub of lard rolling.

And thanks Donald that makes alot of sense. 

If no tool show up, you can try with screen ruler. Measure the distance form white circle (hook mount) to hook. Then from circle to end of tool. Divide these then you have a ratio. Measure the distance on your car and multiply the ratio and viola, you have the measurements. I use it all the time.

http://www.spadixbd.com/freetools/jruler.htm

Edited by chrysler1941

• 2 weeks later...