Achievements and disk space allocations...

Sponsored By  

So IPS (the forum software vendor) is releasing an update soon that will have a new capability called "Achievements". Basically the more active you are in the community you gain points that can result in rewards. Rewards could be different types of recognitions like badges on your profiles or posts. I'm thinking something a little more tangible, like additional free disk storage quota. Again rewards are based on different types of activity like posting threads, liking posts, responding to or following threads.  Inquiring minds might be thinking "But doesn't additional storage cost you money?"  Well yes, but increased site activity drives more page views which increases monthly revenue from Google, which in turn makes paying the bills easier.  

So I see a win/win for all. Become a more active member and get more storage so you can post more with more images which helps me pay for everything!

Let me know what you think!

• Like 2

Sounds ok, especially if you see benefit. I have high regard for some of the regular posters and their wisdom so am keen on keeping them engaged. Am also grateful to those like Billrigsby and Richhartung who provide a lot of technical information in their posts. If it encourages this and rewards folks like them I support the aim.

Grumpy old man point of view .... I do not care about achievements.

I know you have a store with ....been a couple years since I looked ... not interested in stickers ... you gout any Brass plates to advertise to mount on the firewall?

All my T-shirts have holes, do you sell them?

I understand you have a donate button ... that relies on me remembering what year this is ...

I talked about this before ... Today I will send you $50 to donation ... I ask you to send me a message saying I am a paid member as a personal message.

Today is 5/26/2021.  I then require a 30 day notice next year my membership dues are due by 5/26/2022 ... I will send them off.

Does that make sense? I do not need a sticker or a button, or recognition, I just want to help keep this forum alive. It has so many advantages over other forums ... Yes it is old Dodge collectors but we have off topic and post just about anything  from gardens to other cars ... It truly is a community .

I really think this forum is ready for a update to allow paid members. I suspect it may take a huge software change, or maybe just a button you not pushed yet.

The only goal would be to keep it alive and maybe you add some swag to impress  ;)

Los-

You want some P-15-D24 T-shirts that have holes in them already like the jeans that cost way more for the hole already installed?  ?

Will pay more for the holes?  How much extra ?? Maybe I can get some made and post a ad in the classifieds here  for all to purchase.  ?

Any profits will be donated to this forum!  ?

DJ

@DJ194950 you get it. While it is just a joke, if you met me in person my clothes keep me covered and nothing more ... the pants I caught on fire and burn a hole in ... couple more washes and trash. Thats just me.

@P15-D24 may have given me a well deserved scolding ... Can you even imagine the work they have done to keep this forum available?

Can you imagine the work & cost to upgrade to software @P15-D24 would endure .... they already been footing the bill for years.

Simply put, they getting no solid income .... But they keep the site up because thats just what they do.

Lets ask ... what does @P15-D24do for a living?  I have no clue .... I will bet running the forum is not what is paying the mortgage.

Will be a big job moving to new software ... will be a lot of consideration from the users if they want to keep this forum. 

Will be a commitment  from @P15-D24 to upgrade the software.

Just send me a notice 1 month ahead of time to re-new my membership..

6 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Lets ask ... what does @P15-D24do for a living?  I have no clue .... I will bet running the forum is not what is paying the mortgage.

Well the ads basically pay the bills and that's it.  I don't really expect an "income' from the site, it's just too narrow in focus.

Traffic has been slowly going up but the bills also do the same thing. As for me I'm now retired but started in technology sales in 1983. As in the last century when computers were still using punched cards!

9 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

As for me I'm now retired but started in technology sales in 1983. As in the last century when computers were still using punched cards!

I swear I am computer stupid. I learned on a pentium 3 why we do not hot swap ram, sure makes a really cool sound though  :)

I started using gentoo on a P-4 & still use it today. Although in the shop I am experimenting with a binary arch distro. Pretty happy with it.

I think will be moving the office computer off of gentoo soon.

Explanation, gentoo is a geeky linux distro. You start with a bare hard drive and boot with a live cd, then download a few files and edit them ... you do everything on the command line. In a hour I can boot into my new system without the live cd. But it has nothing on it. Command line and connected to the internet.

Analogy is, A windows 10 user or a binary linux user goes to a restaurant and orders a plate of food.

A gentoo user is sitting at the all you can eat buffet ... I want some of this, some of that building my own plate.

After 15 years of building gentoo, I get a working graphical environment with a firefox browser in about 2 days. Takes a week to get everything I want.

With a gaming case, A xeon cpu, 32 gigs ram, takes 3 days with cpu running all out to run a typical  full system update.

Comparison is a binary linux or win 10 takes less then 30 min.

Not saying look how smart I am, saying look how stupid I am for running this system for over 15 years. :DWe get older we get wiser.

I was always a hardware guy & troubleshoot as a hobby, I am no software coder.