Catching up on projects!

MoparMontana

Now that COVID has ebbed and the new Bonneville lakester has completed it's new car shakedowns at El Mirage dry lake, it's time to dive into a few stagnant projects.

First up is prototype #1 of my new "sleeper" head. This looks nothing like the end product, but is going on my '29 DeSoto roadster, Bonnie. I intentionally milled and polished it to inspect the quality of the casting, which I must say is simply outstanding. I then went a step further and gave it an old school hot rod prototype look.

The real end product will look identical to a bone-stock 23" head, including provisions for the stock water neck, casting numbers, and provisions for the coil, linkages, and oil filter. Under the stock façade will be all of the benefits of my current EDGY aluminum heads - cast from pure ingot A-357 T6, and my Gen III "Bonneville proven" combustion chamber design. One exciting new feature is that the combustion chambers are going to be cast smaller than the current 74cc (about 9:1 CR), allowing for custom-order CNCed chambers  of 8-10.2:1. They should be available in late-2021. Pricing will be about $1300.

www.moparmontana.com

20210525_103959 (2).jpg

mdb lakester e mirage may 2021 (2).jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bonnie, a 1929 DeSoto Model K roadster, parking in '51 with a cracked block and a broken front left leaf spring, is now fitted with a '50 23", EDGY cam, Shanefelt intake, vintage Fentons, Holley 48s, and will be the the recipient of the prototype head. Tranny is a S10 T5 case with '91 Camaro gears. Axles and wheels are '31 DeSoto in order to get away from the '29s six lug wheels and split rims. Dash is '31 Chrysler. #BonnieDeSoto

bonnie desoto.jpg

Edited by MoparMontana
  • Like 6

clyde 1.jpg

clyde new blower.jpg

Edited by MoparMontana
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Work has also started on the StudEbaker, a Tesla Model S Sport powered '49 2R5 EV shop truck, charged off the shop roof.

studebaker wheels.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the updates and good to hear you are still working to make old Mopars up to date, as much as possible !  ?

DJ

23 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Awesome, I almost wish I had held out for the new head, I have an Edgy awaiting my 230 build.

It's going to be a while yet. And since I won't be making any more EDGYs, the resale market should be strong for them if you decide to swap out for a new one.

• Like 1

Just now, Sniper said:

At the rate I am progressing it'll still be new in the box, so to speak, when you come out with the version after this next head, lol.

Not everyone is curse with my level of mania. ?

A quick video of the final thrash and initial shakedown run of the new lakester at El Mirage in November 2020. #MDB660

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 5/25/2021 at 3:11 PM, MoparMontana said:

Bonnie, a 1929 DeSoto Model K roadster, parking in '51 with a cracked block and a broken front left leaf spring, is now fitted with a '50 23", EDGY cam, Shanefelt intake, vintage Fentons, Holley 48s, and will be the the recipient of the prototype head. Tranny is a S10 T5 case with '91 Camaro gears. Axles and wheels are '31 DeSoto in order to get away from the '29s six lug wheels and split rims. Dash is '31 Chrysler. #BonnieDeSoto

bonnie desoto.jpg

I've been combing the Internet today trying to glean all I can on this one. I love it. It's what I'd build, given the opportunity!