1940 Plymouth - Stock Height

dwest999

Hello all.  I am in the process of buying a 1940 Plymouth Club Coupe and need to determine the stock height to see if it will fit into a storage space I have.  Unfortunately, I don't have the car yet and after doing some internet search had no luck finding the height.  Thank you in advance for the help!!!1

Can't you just ask the guy you are buying it from to put a board across the top and then measure the distance to the ground/floor?

44 minutes ago, dwest999 said:

No, here’s very elderly and his son in law lives an hour away.

Oh,well. The closest I can come to helping you would be a 48 Plymouth 4dr,and they are clearly different cars.

You know,if push comes to shove,you could always buy 4 "tire dollies" people use to roll their cars around with,and then take the wheels and tires off the 40 and roll it around with the dollies.

Not a perfect solution,but I can't imagine a house garage door that wouldn't be tall enough to allow that to work,and it would get your new purchase in out of the weather until you could maybe make your garage opening a little higher.

Edited by knuckleharley

Thanks for the response, it’s going on a 4 post car lift with my ‘54 Dodge underneath.  So, I need to add both car heights together and add 9”.  My ceiling in my garage is 128”.  So, looks like it is going to work... on to plan B

if you playing with that close of a tolerance...I hope you have a limiter switch on the lift to protect a few roofline and the ceiling itself.  That is going to be close I think and remember...you need to go up a bit to lock and unlock the lift...my Plymouth business coupe with 225/70R16's is sitting 65.5 inches proud.    This should relate close to stock bias ply if so equipped...

Thanks all... I don’t think it’s going to work out for me and having a 4 poster in the garage... ugh... well glad I figured this before dropping $5K.

10 minutes ago, dwest999 said:

Thanks all... I don’t think it’s going to work out for me and having a 4 poster in the garage... ugh... well glad I figured this before dropping $5K.

Ever consider moving your 4 poster out into the yard? LOTS of people do this,and they survive just fine outside. If you have to,you could even build a little roof over it.

The biggest danger is all your neighbors seeing it,and wanting you to change their oil for them.

a guy locally has had one in his back yard for years...it is uncovered as far as a roof goes....his pump unit is in a weather resistant cubby with door....the cables are well lubed with grease for protection...and also the town next to me has an outdoor lift by their facility that has been there since I can recall.   Personally I find 13 foot about the basic acceptable ceiling height for a 4 post work/storage lift.