Dist. Clocking for the huge vacuum advance

47Jim

Found out that I have one of the unfortunate distributors, where the vacuum advance is pointed right at the starter when timing is set, the factory bracket gives very little room for adjustment as we all know 

here’s what I did, worked very well 

09B85EDE-B117-4BF0-885D-E628B5377689.jpeg

Can’t get the other pics to load, maybe someone will figure out what I’m talking about 

factory bracket on top, it can only go this way because of that cast bump above the dist hole

the bottom is what I made to flip it 180 degrees and give much more adjustment 

7A1680DD-6178-41A8-A9EF-8B885EB22163.jpeg

Edited by 47Jim

Seems odd your vac adv cannister was an issue, without looking I seem to recall mine pointing towards the front. You might have been able to adjust without changing the plate by moving the firing order around one spot on the dist cap ?

• Like 1

Dartgame, the issue was my particular model of dist with the adjustment bolt location in relation to the limited movement provided by the original bracket, you couldn’t just flip the bracket or it hits that cast bump out directly above the dist hole, when my dist was in the proper timing “range “ my VA was on bottom pointed somewhere towards the starter, limited by the range of that bracket, I’ve found a few different dist have this peculiar mount location, I wanted cleaner and more direct VA plumbing coming from the throttle body, that’s all, it’s just too crowded down by that starter with dipstick and oil filter lines and everything, that’s all it was about...housekeeping in effect, I hope I’ve explained it sufficiently, most guys dist are already in the upward range and aren’t aware of this problem 

My understanding is that oil pump has to be lined up properly first then the distributor falls into correct position. I know my manual was of no help but found the procedure somewhere

• Like 1