Local Shops

Kilgore47

I consider myself lucky that there local shops that work on old cars.  I do most of my own work so I don't use them often.  One of the shops is here in town about 3 miles away.  Recently had them install a new exhaust system.  I could have ordered a new system on line but after paying for shipping it would have been very expensive.  The local shop installed a new system for under 300 dollars and it looks stock.  Also had them replace a couple of seals while the car was there.  There is always a car from the 30's or 40's on one of the lifts when I go by.

Another shop is about 15 miles north of me.  They are capable of ground up restorations.  Or replace a wheel bearing if that's all you need.  This shop restored a 1946 Cadillac and that car made the front page of the local news paper.  Small town.  I started using this guy when he was still working out of his garage. He is set up in an old car dealership now.

The local glass shop can order and cut to fit any of the flat laminated glass.  I'll try my hand at replacing the windshield soon.  Haven't decided if I'll go with tented glass.

There are probably others but these are the ones I work with.  

There are two in my area. One about five miles away and another about twenty for mechanical work.  A body shop down the street from me(they did good work on modern cars)I noticed has  put up an additional sign promoting restorations. And another body shop also about twenty miles away is supposed to be good for older cars. I have had work done at both mechanical shops but cannot say anything about the body shops on old cars.

I am the local shop. 
i work on most anything, but leaning more and more towards the classics. So customer was by last week, says he has a 47 dodge that needs work. Front end mostly. 
truck was his dad’s and was well cared for. I cant wait to get a look at it,i think he wants to bring it back to new like condition, upholstery, rubber,and just leave the body original. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1