Rear Axle Wheel Bearing Grease Plugs

Dodge City

I am new to these old Mopar's and was curious about greasing the rear axle wheel bearings. My plugs for the grease access seem pretty corroded on the outside am I in for a stubborn fight in removing these? Any suggestions beforehand? How  do you grease it just push it up into the hole?

I appreciate any input...

clean them up with a wire brush, squirt with a bit

of penetrating oil, remove with a 6 point wrench (socket or box).

Push a bit of grease into each hole. Per the shop

manual, don't over grease.

Plymjim,

Appreciate the reply! Just didn't know if these were notorious for being trouble and I need to hit a few days with penetrating oil or pretty straight forward. The car hasn't been driven much in years, and I am going to change that and use pretty regular. Just trying to get all the maintenance caught up current so I feel better about it when I'm putting those miles on...

A couple of suggestions. Resist the urge to install a grease nipple. (zerk) You don’t want to be using a grease gun here.  Seen here is a pic. 

A good tool box has at least a couple of syringes. Fill a larger syringe one with grease. Put the end into the hole. Add some grease under low pressure via the syringe. 

Larger syringes with a piece of fuel line are great for topping up tranny fluids and diffs under the car. You can also dip the hose down a half full jug of oil, suck out with the syringe and off you go!

Smaller syringes are great too for topping up small reservoirs like brake master cylinder reservoirs in hard to reach areas. Works great. Clean. No drips. A little piece of hose over the syringe nipple, you’ll be dancing in the streets. 

A48CE56B-FEEF-4077-862B-3EF8DD4800DB.jpeg

91DBDF1E-1D7A-448D-A057-F8D4335CFD3D.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great advice on the syringes. I use them on a regular basis on my cars and motorcycles. Also, if you live in California like I do, you can just walk around for 5 minutes and find a handful for free!!!!

• Like 2

Wheel bearing grease works as long as brand and type remain consistent...I have a plastic knife from a restaurant take-out pkg that I dip the tip into the grease can and feed into the hole...when grease starts to come out of the hole, it's full ?

Edited by JBNeal
  • Like 2

You should try to verify that there is good grease in the bearings while you have the plug put.  I have read that the axel bearings tend to get over looked when doing maintenance.  When I pulled the rear drums off the P15 I found that everything was covered with grease.  The seals were bad.  When I pulled the axels the bearings were dry and rusted and fell apart.  The bearings were also installed backwards.  All is fixed now.  New bearings, seals and brakes.  That rumbling noise went away.        

Old Brakes.jpg

New Brakes.jpg

• Like 2

I went food shopping with my wife today at our local food store. They have a pharmacy in the store. I stopped at the desk to see if they had any syringes and i explained what I was looking to do with them. The Pharmacist gave me 4 syringes that are use to put liquid medicine into the moth of a child.

They did not charge me for them.  Just another possibility of a place to get some syringes.

Rich Hartung

I've got several left from dog medicine, also have one sold to inject marinade into meats for roasting.  I have one to administer my atf/acetone penetrant mix. Beats blasting PB Blaster all over everything.  And speaking of stuff that looses the aerosol before the can is half empty, has any one used the schader valve air compressor trick to recharge the can?

Edited by greg g

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of tracking down inner and outer axle oil seals, since mine are showing signs of leaking.  There was a drop on the bottom of the outside of the backing plate coming down from the end of the axle.  Plus a small puddle on the inside of the backing plate below the shoes.  No sign of oil getting on my shoes yet.  I've cleaned the backing plate with brake cleaner and driven about 50 miles with no signs of oil yet.  So I don't think I'm in any danger yet.

However since I was in that area I pulled out that plug that we're talking about here that allows grease to the bearing.  Dark heavy oil like stuff started ozzing out. So I'm thinking the inner seal is allowing differential oil past that seal and it's mixing with the wheel bearing grease.  Optimistically thinking, I suppose that's better than it being dry in there.  But is that something I should be overly concerned about or just to keep it on the top of my priority list? 

One a side note...

Some years ago I ran across a MOPAR or Other technical note that stated that the axle bearing end play on these pre-1955 rear ends should be upped. I cannot remember the extract numbers but it was from something like 8 thou to 15 thou. I can look through my paperwork to see if I can find the note.

The reason listed was that with the all new "freeways" speeds were going up and the axles were growing with the heat generated by the higher speeds. This caused bearing binding issues. I know when I rebuilt both the '47 and the '49 rear ends, I added more play and I have not noticed any problems in doing so.

So when one pulls out the axles to clean and repack the bearings...something to think about.

James

• Like 1

I guess I'm missing something here. I don't know where there is a grease zerk to grease the back wheel bearings in these old cars. I have always had to take the wheel bearings out wash them in a solvent blow dry and pack new grease in by hand or use a grease tool from auto parts store. I have never seen on for the axel bearings before. What car are you all talking about. 

This on on a 1950 Dodge Wayfarer. To my knowledge may old Chrysler, Dodge ,Plymouths, Desoto's had them.

There is a plug (can't remember if those were 7/16's or 1/2 inch wrench size  on each side of the axle about an inch or two inward from the Brake backing plate almost on the bottom of the axle. Mine were really rusty but managed to get them out pretty easily and shove some grease into the hole and reinstall plug.