Listing of Carter B&B model numbers?

rrunnertexas

If you take a look at your carb there is a rib cast into the top that goes over the float bowl. In the side of the rib at the top there will be a stamped number - that is the model number of your specific carb. It should be 3 or 4 digits and a mix of letters and numbers. 

B&B made so many different versions that more or less look identical that there is no way to tell without starting with that number. And quite honestly even with that number, there is nothing saying that your carb wasn't built with a bunch of mismatched parts over the years. A lot can happen over decades. 

These carbs get a bad rap and I think most of that is because of the wide variety of variation that was offered. 

• Like 1

I’ve got a catalog binder with every Carter made up to the early 60’s. As you can see it’s 3” thick. There’s no composite listing but they are sorted by application (which motor it was used on). Something specific you’re after? Drop me an email and I can look it up. 

mark@rdusaclassics.com

A73BFCF4-4083-489E-93A5-E416FC293579.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rrunnertexas said:

Searched but did not find it - a listing of all the Carter Ball & Ball carburetor model number codes.  Anyone have a link to share?

I'm trying to find which model is currently installed in the car and what years/vehicles it was used on.

Thanks!

good chance if you posted this carb model it would be identified..if for the PJ we have folks who are deep into that model...

Thanks for the info so far.

The one on the car now is marked C6D2.  

I'm also looking on ebay for others that look the same or very similar as this one, but they have different codes on them, so not sure what model or application they may have originally been used on.

Just in case I want to pick up another carb as a backup.

20210505_145445.jpg

From the 1928-33 Plymouth Master Parts List:

1933 - C-6-A-2

I don't see any carburetor identification in the 1934 service manual or parts list. But there is an illustration in the service manual showing the carburetor and it looks like the 1933 where there is not stiffening web on the air horn above the float bowl like later carburetors and the one shown in the image posted by @rrunnertexas which implies the carburetor in question is not a 1934.

From the 1936-42 Plymouth Factory Service Manual:

1936 - C6E1, C6E2

1937 - C6F1, C6F2, C6F3, C6F4, C6F5, C6H1

1938 - C6J1, C6K1

1939-41 - D6A1, D6A2, D6C1, D6C2

1942 - DTC1

I don’t have a 1935 service manual or parts list but looking at the pattern of numbers for 1933 and for 1936-38 it would not surprise me if the C6D2 was originally shipped on the 1935 PJ models.