Electrical and engine - New Yorker 47

Carl-Gustav
Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

Hi guys!

I don't know if there already are threads about this, if so I apologize for creating a new one.

I bought a New Yorker 47 last year that needed love. I replaced the electrical wiring though they were in a bad condition. Afterwards most things work great except for one thing - after a while of driving the engine stalls. I can start again right after stopping unless I wait for a couple of minutes, then it won't start for 1h ?. I've heard about carburetor lock, capacitor gone bad and so on... How about the Automatic Chocke? When I bought the car, previous owners had removed the wire to it and disconnected the lever to the carburetor. Can that affect the engine though it has to open when engine is warm and closed when cool? (according to the shop manual).

Another thought is the Switch light - is it supposed to be on all the time or just during start (like the battery lamp on modern cars)... Let's start here and see what help you can give me ?

Best regards from Sweden

fram.jpg

on the hard restart, check output of coil, sounds like typical overheating to me.

automatic choke is wire to the starter and is only engage when the starter is engaged...BUT it does latch the high idle cam if you use the prescribed sequence to start the car.  If you choke plate is not affixed with a cable or wired stationary, it could be flopping about and if not perpendicular to the throat of the carb....very much a mileage killer.

you will have to describe the light switch a bit different...confused to what you are doing there...

Ok, sounds like I should connect the Choke with the wire and the lever ?

About the light - it turns on when I turn the key and is lit until I turn of the car and pull out the key. It also flashes with the turnsignal relay.

Is this how it should work or should it turn off when the alternator is charging properly?

IMG_20210516_152947.jpg

that looks like it has been added at a later time.......if your car been updated with an alternator I would suspect this the reason for its install...when properly connected it will light when the battery is supplying the voltage but go out when the alternator supplies power.  If staying on and flashing with the turn signals, I am thinking it is currently not wired correctly.    

One side of the lamp is connected to the "ignition on" side of the ignition switch and the other side of the lamp is connected to the generator outputWhen the output of the generator is lower than the voltage of the battery, the light will be on. The current path is from the battery through the light, through the generator to ground then back to the other side of the battery (the battery is "charging" the generator). When the output of the generator rises to the level of the battery, the light goes out.

This is the diagram I followed when replacing the faulty wiring I had. Tried to dokument how it was before to but after so many years you never know who else has been there...

As you see a bit down to the right you have the directional signal indicator flasher (relay) and it goes to the parking brake light to. The bulb at the relay is the one I showed before. I have a friend with a Windsor that says his light is not on all the time while driving but he hasn't touched the wiring or see how it's wired... I cant see any lights that has the function we talked about.

Screenshot_20210516_182121.jpg

Could be...but on the Dodge and DeSoto and would think Chrysler would be similar to the sisters....the handbrake warning is dash mounted left of low of steering column...would be interesting to put this one to bed....that lamp though sure has a "home grown" look to it though.....I would expect a smooth flowing flush light for this purpose if factory.

The handbrake light is dashmounted as you said. What do you mean by "home grown"? You mean made at home? ☺️ If so well you are partly right - as you can see it's not miles per hour anymore it has been converted to km/h. But the light is from the factory though not 100% perfect with the hole ?. I had to refurbish the hole dashboard. I'm actually quite happy with the result ?

IMG_20200817_211325.jpg

IMG_20200803_100057.jpg

your pictures are a bit deceiving.....DO you have a matching yellow lens on the left side of the cluster and is it also yellow.  If so, is this the left turn signal indicator...sorry but I have problems with the reflection on the instrument cluster getting clarification here.  Where is your head light high beam indicator and is it RED?  

If you have a left and right turn indicator you do not use the pilot of the three prong....as that is for common bulb T/S and not dedicated left and right.  Left and right  indicator wiring should tie (splice per common bullet connector  3 or 4 way tie point) and use a two blade flasher with + sharing common with map light input  and L connector....(L is load) to the flasher unit, the brake light should be a center mount and not shared with the T/S   Per the schematic you show, this is not for independent turn signal indicators.  Now if you or someone has incorporated the rear T/S element of the dual element bulb with brakes....then your power to the flasher is no long common tie to map light but will come from the brake light switch...whereas there may now be a single input to the brake switch and dual output to the rear of the car.  One to the center mount brake light and the other tie to the flasher feeding the input to the T/S switch.....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

1946 Chrysler's have a left and a right red arrow in place of the red DOTS in the instrument cluster...high beam indicator is above the cluster using a small chrome surround red dot indicator.

1947-48 Chryslers use a left red DOT in the cluster for the high beam indicator..

Then another red DOT on the right side of the cluster that will indicates either a right or left turn.

When the e-brake is pulled on, the drivers side only map/courtesy  light (left lower side of dash) will blink using the same three terminal flasher that is used for the turn signals.

When the e-brake is on and that said map or courtesy light is blinking ...the red DOT on the Rt side of the cluster should not blink ever.

• Thanks 1

That's exactly how it works on mine Dodgeby4ya. But the thing is that as soon as I turn my key to pos 1 the right DOT turns on... When I use the indicator the bulb flashes stronger... A friend of mine with the Windsor says that his right DOT does not turn on unless he uses the indicators.

Sorry if I haven't been clear with things here ?

• Solution

per the description of the cluster and bulb arrangements and per the schematic you have listed and followed, there is but one single wire going to that bulb...it comes direct from the P terminal of the flasher....perhaps you have a bad flasher.  It is not uncommon to get a bad 3 prong flasher as most are not made well today.

• 1 month later...