Cool Finds: Parts, Tools, Literature etc.

maddmaxx1949

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

You'll need it right after it gets lost.  That's how my luck runs. 

One of the biggest truths ever told. On top of that,you won't be able to find a place to buy a replacement quickly.

I don't lose whatever is needed. I have one. Just where is it??

Sometimes it is quicker to buy one when needed.  After the work is done I - usually either remember where it is or I stumble across it!  Later!.  ?

Well I now have two of them for next time to try and locate- should I put both in one place or try two different locations? ?

DJ

welcome to the world of do  for yourself and try to safeguard an item till needed....never fails it seems to having to spend as much time looking for an item as the time you will be using it.    My dad always told me if you can't find it when you need....it is just the same as not having it....hardly a week goes by I am not trying to recall or search where I have placed something....Not long back I moved the very box it was in as my metal image was it being in a completely different container....mental images often lead me on a goose chase.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

27 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Sometimes it is quicker to buy one when needed.  After the work is done I - usually either remember where it is or I stumble across it!  Later!.  ?

Well I now have two of them for next time to try and locate- should I put both in one place or try two different locations? ?

DJ

That's how I ended up with two OHV spring compressors, and two compression testers, etc...

I am very diligent about putting things back in their assigned spots, 99% of the time. The other 1%? Darn I can waste time searching. Seems like 99% of the time I am looking for 1% of my missing tools. What gets under my skin is when someone else in this house (my lovely wife) "borrows" a tool unbeknownst to me. Then it does not get returned. "By accident", she claims. “I meant to put it back”....Of course dear, I understand.

The result is I am wasting 15 minutes trying to find it.  Tools that "forgot" to get put back I swear, are akin to driving deck screws into my skull. Wasted time searching, for nothing, 

Edited by keithb7

I sometimes think that a certain tool "should really be in another place".  Bad idea.  I can never remember where the "better place" is at.

Speaking of Motor Manuals - bought a whole box of them at an auction around here some years ago, I think it came out to just over a dollar a piece.  I just kept the two oldest ones, and "gave" the rest of them to my brother to sell on commission.  Thing is, he collects every old automotive book he gets his hands on, so I suppose he still has them.  He's more into the "Forward Look" years, so the later ones are right down his alley.

4 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

DJ

I did just that today. Needed a staple gun for a quick,but "gotta be done NOW!" job. I know I have one SOMEWHERE in my 3,000 sq ft metal workshop,but since it has been years since I last used it,the air temp was in the upper 90's and blasting away on that steel building,I just decided to buy a new one. $9.95 + $3.95 for staples,and in 10 minutes I am done with the job instead of laying somewhere in the shop floor with heatstroke.