Cool Finds: Parts, Tools, Literature etc.

maddmaxx1949

Hey All,

Was wanting to start a thread for stuff you've found buried or lying around maybe at junk yard or tucked back in someone's barn forgotten for years until one of us came along and blew the dust off it. On topic with the forum of course. For instance I recently stumbled upon this NOS ball and trunion rebuild kit complete with literature and wanted to share it with you guys. Didn't want to make a new thread everytime I found something cool or interesting. There are a few individual threads out there of cool finds but it's usually about just one thing then the thread ends so I wanted to bounce this off of you all. Admin if this isn't allowed please let me know.

20210514_184015.jpg

20210514_183707.jpg

20210514_184003.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, I'm a big fan of finding the original literature with some of these parts and cars. While they may have been a common thing to see for some of the folks here, as a younger man its like unearthing some unknown and cool history. Have to preserve what I can, hate to see it lost to time.

Back when I still had my wrecker on the road,I stopped by a independent truck repair shop on the way home,mostly because I had time to waste and hadn't talked to the guy in a while.

We were just discussing stuff in general,when he popped up with "Know anybody that wants to buy a 409 Chevy engine? It's complete and runs good,but I just want a bigger engine."

So I told him the truth,"I'm not really interested in Chevy engines,but tell me how much you want for it,and I will spread the word around amongst the Chevy people I know.

Then he said "$100,and it's complete right down to the GM carb ,the clutch,and bellhousing."

That's when I reached for my wallet and said something like "Uhhhh,show me where to back up so I can hook it to my boom".

Got it home and pulled the heads,and there wasn't even a ridge in the cylinder walls.

A complete 409 Chevy engine is some serious trade goods if you run into a GM freak that has something you want to trade for.

No,it is NOT the big-valve head competition version,but it IS a stock original 409 Chevy engine. 

Since then I have found and bought cheap a set of finned aluminum Edelbrock valve covers and a dual quad aluminum intake.

Have a rebuilt 350 to put in my fenderless and channeled 32 Ford coupe that makes a lot more horsepower than the 409,but am seriously considering using the 409 instead. I believe the 32 would sell for a lot more money with the 409 than a 350.

The problem is there ain't much that is more useless than a high-performance modified engine that someone else put together. You almost have to give the damn things away,and stuff like the Dart 2 heads didn't come cheap.

BTW,to finish breaking your hearts with this story,I was sitting at home minding my own business one day,when a local friend who owns a machine shop called me and asks "Know anybody that wants to buy a 32 Ford coupe?"

My reply was,"Sure,who doesn't? The problem is I can't afford one."

"You can afford this one,the seller only wants $3500 for it and it is parked in a garage about 25 miles from you. Let me know if you want it,and I will take my truck and trailer to go with you to get it."

A hour later I am at the sellers house,and when they open their garage door,here is what I see.

844214788_32Coupe.jpg.f6fcf3109a2fbe3512c1e90840c06b50.jpg

"Uhhhhh,"says I,the hard bargainer,here is your cash. Where is the stuff that goes with it?"

You know,the unimportant stuff,like the stock rebuilt 350 engine and the rebuilt 350 turbo trans.

Here is what it looks like today,setting in my shop. The engine in it is a old 283 that I pulled out of the woods. I  used it for a blocking dummy to build the motor mounts,trans mounts,headers,and radiator mounts. The 6 carb intake is a old one I had laying around that I just sat on top of the 283 to freak out people who had never seen one.

1287581989_LSide.jpg.ae7861c1b294f4cca7aef32982c90e1b.jpg

The original chassis was bent,twisted,and had been "boxed" using sheet metal and body plastic.

Seriously. I had to cut it off and make new frame rails and install a new front crossmember for the "suicide front axle".

BTW,that front axle is an original dropped "Dago" front axle from the late 40's-early 50's according to a hot rod shop owner that saw it that does repop 32 Fords. He offered me 2500 bucks for the axle.

I got the car this far,started getting sick and having operations,and there it has sat since. Lots of people have tried to buy it,but I don't want to sell it until I get it on the road and enjoy driving it for a couple of months,first.

BTW,several of the local "sharpies" came by here to buy other stuff,spotted the 32 coupe,and wanted to buy it. So I told them to make me an offer.  The highest from any of the locals was $2500 IF I threw in the rebuilt 350/350.

Had a retired engineer who has a "32-34 Ford ONLY" hot rod business spot it when he came here one day with a friend looking to buy a 2x4 intake for a 324 Olds,and when he expressed interest,I told him to not bother because I was tired of being low-balled,and told him the higest offer so far was $2500.

He told me "I will give you 22 thousand in cash for it,and you can keep the engine and transmission."

I turned him down. Didn't really need the money,but I do feel a NEED to get the damn thing on the road and have some fun driving it for a month or two before selling it.

Hell,if I had 22 grand in cash,I'd probably just spend it on another project car,so why bother?

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 3

I tinker on old radios and TV sets as a hobby. Over the years I've met a number of folks who were in the TV repair business and enjoyed our discussions. One Saturday about a dozen years ago I was driving through a small town about 30 miles from home when I spotted a small shop that appeared long closed and I lamented that I'd never had a chance to meet the owner. But, something caught my eye as I passed. Was it actually still open? I made a U-turn and parked. The door was indeed open. I introduced myself and the Mom & Pop behind the counter were somewhat stand-offish at first. I asked if they had any old stuff they wanted to get rid of and they showed me around, including some real gems that were hidden away. They took my number and a few weeks later I got a call. They were ready to retire, and might I be willing to help them out? Over the next year or two I was able to assist in them selling a lot of parts, tools, signage and such. It was a great experience; I basically just kept some things for myself as way of a commission. One day I was visiting them at their home and Tony asked if I might find a buyer for an old mechanic's tool box in his garage. Seems many years earlier he had loaned some money to the owner of a local service station and took the box as collateral. Since he still had it you can guess what happened. I never could find a buyer but in the end gave him some money for it myself and took it home. Mostly I got a pretty nice drawer full of older Craftsman wrenches in a cheaper old stacked box. There were a few oddball tools that I could never figure out so I just left them to gather dust. 

This spring I've opened an engine for the first time in my life. The tools? Nearly ever one of them came from that old chest, including some of those I couldn't previously identify like a valve keeper tool and a piston ring land cleaner. My dear friend Tony has gone to his reward but now, every time I work on the car, I think of him (and that unknown service station owner who obviously had worked on some flatheads himself!) 

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Hit a show in Springfield Ohio today. I tell you what, I saw one spitfire head but other than that flat 6 parts and our era dodge parts were non existent. Tons of parts and about 50 cars for sale but 90% chevy small block and Ford. Disappointing but managed to pick up two manuals for a good price. Both 1950 to supplement my factory manual. Love the smell of that old paper. Did see a 1922 and earlier carb book that was pretty cool but nothing I could use...

Edit: the best thing about original manuals besides the smell is the pictures and text are absolutely crystal clear. None of that photocopied blurry bullpucky.

20210529_173143.jpg

Edited by maddmaxx1949
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marcel Backs said:

Motors should be in everyone’s library who has an old car. A re-printing of this volume would be in order. It often outshines my shop manual.

I agree after reading through this, it has excellent breakdowns for repair procedures and I have been dissatisfied with my factory manual on more than one occasion. It's definitely good to have both if possible. The Chilton manual is also just for a separate reference. You know what they say, if you ask three people how to do something most of the time you'll get three different answers. Never opposed to a second opinion or procedure so long as it works.

5 hours ago, Marcel Backs said:

Motors should be in everyone’s library who has an old car. A re-printing of this volume would be in order. It often outshines my shop manual.

A Motors Manual was the first tech book for autos I ever bought,and this was back in the mid-1960's. Maybe the smartest money I ever spent,and I am always recommending them to newbies.

• Like 1

I have a 1949 Motors Manual.  Its my go-to (actually only) reference for our Terraplane.  I have yet to make much of an effort to get a Hudson/Terraplane service manual, because the Motors one has met my requirements. 

Also do not overlook the Rate Manuals.  When you open the next one that you find look for your specific car.  You will find that it will also list some of the major parts tht were used on your car and will list the MoPar part number also you might see printed on the same line the letter C,D,P S. They would tell you that the taht your that year was also used on the C-Chryslers, D-Dodge, P-Plymouth and S-Desoto.

Also some repair information is also in the book. Great just to have when looking at a part number and then you might beable to discover what car it fits.  These Rate Manuals are unusually cheap.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 2

Back when I was teaching High School, the auto shop teacher was cleaning out some old junk to make space to close half of the shop to be converted into classroom space.  I thought that was a poor idea, especially because I ended up teaching science in the converted classroom that had no windows and a closet with the shop air compressor in it that would cycle on and off at random.  One of the books he threw out was this 1951 textbook on engines.  It has detailed information on how to make messurements, assess damage and wear, how to assemble and replace engines.  All of it illustrated with annotated photos and diagrams of engines of the supplied by all of the major manufacturers. ... fascinating reading!image.jpg.36c43000b15d3ab5f69db5d7f54bdfac.jpg

Edited by busycoupe
spelling
  • Like 2

Secretary at work told me she wanted to clear out her garage. She and her husband had campaigned a super stock 70 hemi cuda back in the day. I cleaned out her garage and sold a bunch of parts she had for a commission. Crown jewels in the collection were as new take off rocker fish gill moldings, and a slick shifted aluminum bodied 833 4 spd that was NEW never run. They had a clutchflite of sorts as well, which actually used a turbo 400 instead of a 727, weird stuff. I ended up practically giving away the clutch operated turbo 400, which had two scattershields which were only good for the turbo 400. Other stuff sold without a hitch.

• 4 weeks later...

Removing the fluid drive on my 51' yesterday which is now slowly becoming a parts car. 5/8" wrench was too big, 9/16" too small so I tried 15mm. nope, too small. Dad chimes in "maybe its 19/32's".  Me: "Okay (eyeroll), yeah right, do they even make those?"    Dad: *proceeds to pull out this 19/32's - 11/16 wrench.     Me:   ?

and of course it was the right size....

20210628_223639.jpg.86727832023010dc77746cc333558a35.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Remember the saying Old Guys Rule and Dad Knows Best.  Look to the experienced old timers they have a lot of old knowledge that we take for granted. I try to learn something everyday. That is why I like going through my Motors books. I was able to answer a question on the commutator end bearing that is really not replaceable it could be done but was designed not to be removed.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

5 hours ago, maddmaxx1949 said:

Removing the fluid drive on my 51' yesterday which is now slowly becoming a parts car. 5/8" wrench was too big, 9/16" too small so I tried 15mm. nope, too small. Dad chimes in "maybe its 19/32's".  Me: "Okay (eyeroll), yeah right, do they even make those?"    Dad: *proceeds to pull out this 19/32's - 11/16 wrench.     Me:   ?

and of course it was the right size....

I have been carrying one of those things in every tool box I have owned since I was 17 years old,and STILL haven't used it. It's still there,though. Just in case it's needed.

You never know what you are going to get when you buy a used tool box full of tools from a pawn shop.

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

have been carrying one of those things in every tool box I have owned since I was 17 years old,and STILL haven't used it. It's still there,though. Just in case it's needed.

You'll need it right after it gets lost.  That's how my luck runs. 

• Like 1