Hot weather pressure buildup in gas tank- is venting needed?

Ran the tank down to a couple gallons left in the '41 tank today and before filling up, I noticed when I removed the filler cap a lot of vapor/air pressure had built up. Just hit our first several 100 degree F days here in the desert. The tank or cap have no venting. Would there be any concern about pressurized gasoline going into the fuel pump or maybe affect the shutoff of the carb float?

Should there be some venting to equalize pressure in the tank to atmosphere? 

If I have this positive pressure with hot weather and such a closed system, in cold weather could I create a vacuum (negative pressure) in the tank which might fight the fuel pump operation?

This is a new fuel cap, original is long gone... If I should vent it, it would be simple to create a tiny vent.

Thanx! 

The stock cap should be vented.  The cap on my 1 when I bought it did the same thing, so I bought a "vented" cap.  Except if it vented the pressure threshold was so high that I could hear the tank oilcanning as it heated up/cooled down.  So I bought another cap, same deal.  Ended up having to take the cap apart and adjust the vent release spring.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...