All motorcycle content

MackTheFinger

Lack of compression

Had some room in the garage after shuffling seasonal items into and outof sheds for winter..  decided to pull my 78 kz 650 into the spot for a try to get it started from sitting period of ran when parked 1e years ago.  Went through the electrical system and have spark and electrons going where they are supposed to.

Last activity before quiting for the night was a compression test of #4 cylinder dry and wet showed no compression.  So today's activity will be to oil up all the cylinders with a bit of atf and acetone, with several kicks after letting sir for a while then repeat a couple more times.

Should I be looking for stuck valves from sitting ?  Last compression test I remember was in the 130 to 150 range but that was 13 plus years ago.

Bike has been under cover in dry storage since last running. 

I also notice much brighter spark when kicked over compared to cranking the starter.  So the starter seems to be causing a larger than normal voltage drop.

This is a 4 cylinder with the wasted spark coil setup and has aftermarket non points ignition system with stock coils.  

The wasted spark deal was apparently an industry standard for four cylinders. With one coil firing odd cylinders and the other firing evens.  So the cylinders would get spark on compression and on exhaust.

So out to soak and kick, then deal with leaves, then soak and kick again...

• Thanks 1

while not familiar with this exact engine.....most motor cycles have covers/caps for valve access and adjust....suggest this be pulled and inspected for sticking/stuck valve....on a multi cylinder engine....for sure one valves will be exposed to atmosphere when parked.....hopefully just a bit of lube and human intervention will persuade it free and running the engine afterwards will free and lube as needed.  

speaking of summed up and sticking stuff....I took a Facet fuel pump apart the other night...first one I seen that did not work.  I figured I had nothing to lose so put wrench on the big nut to the inlet...unscrewed.....excellent I said...the inlet valve was shellacked up so cleaned it.. tested, nothing....so unscrewed the other side...ah ha...the piston was shellacked up pretty badly also....little soaking in solvent...freed up...back on the car.  The pump is nicely made for servicing much to  my surprise with an o-ring seal on the inlet....these are good pumps....this one had the wrong fuel to sit...now where have we seen that before?   I have 4  of these NOS in box 5-7 lb but the SU carbs suggest 1.5 - 4 lb pumps and that was the last one of them in captivity.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Is number 4 the only one tested and the others have compression? If so it should be popping off and starting or trying to on 3 cylinders. If not there should be a drain plug at the bottom of each carb bowl to drain the old gas out of each carb. Once it pops off it should clear up any deposits on # 4. This assumes you have compression and spark on the other cylinders. Gas these days doesn't stay good very long in a bike.

No gas in it yet.  We got electricity to most everything, rolled it over a couple times with the kick starter, oiled the cylinders and did the compression test on 4.  It was zero, so we soaked again and I kicked it over again today Got 50 psi on 4 about 75 on 1. Today I rigged a temp gas line, tomorrow I need to mount up a new starter switch as the original bit the dust.  So after a couple of errands I will build a switch mount, do another comp test, then introduce fuel to the process.  Might invest in new spark plugs also.  Couple folks on kawasaki forums suggest new coils are in order due to age.

I checked a couple of the screws on the cam covers and they were less than co operative so I will need to locate my impact driver so I don't buggar the screw heads. It's coming up on winter here so no real hurry on the process.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, greg g said:

No gas in it yet

Missed that. ?

Used to ride with a group of Kawasaki bikes on the roads and trips to the 1/4 mile track.  I had a Z1-900 years ago I built up for that. Don't recall anyone having issues with the stock Kawasaki coils, they either work or they don't. Very dependable bikes.  Cam chain tensioners and 2nd gear issues ring a bell.

When I was riding it it was very dependable.  First start of the day always required a kick start with the tank on prime and lots of choke.   Never needed more than the 2nd kick.  Rest of the day would fire up easily on the starter with just a touch of the start button.  My friends Yamaha Virago would never start without a bump start or jump pac.  I think this was the first or second year that NY required headlight on with engine running.  The headlight should have been wired to come on post start, sucks a lot of juice and its only a 12 or 15 amp hour battery. Unfortunately a trip to the dmv for the wife's car, and a trip to lenscrafters for new glasses adjustments chewed up most of the day.  No plugs in stock at the local stores.  Supposed to be on the truck in the am.

Edited by greg g

Now have a reliable momentary toggle for the starter switch.   Spins over quite nicely.  I'm going to run a switchable ground for the always on headlamp so it's not fighting the ign system for current  at start, and can be operator controlled  Will also find some inexpensive LED auxiliary white lights and wire them to the always on circuit to satisfy NY, motorcycle law.  Figure they won't draw that much juice as the 50 watt halogene with ign on. 

Are any of you guys running a strobe light front or rear like the ones that folks run on their bicycles.  These stand out very nicely during the day.  Some one may have mentioned that they saw some strobes on armbands.  Might like some of those for when I working the snowplow or blower at the end of the driveway.  We are on a State Rd that's the busiest stretch in the county.  It also seems to have more idiots per hundred than other roads.  Anybody remember the source of the arm band lights?

Can’t help with the strobe, and even as an avid cyclist, I find the flashy lights annoying. However, there is a flashing brake light module available that I do like. When either brake is activated, brake lights flash four times, flash four times again, then remain on. Dirt cheap, too.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-controllers/brake-light-strobe-module/195/845/

You may want to just replace the headlight with an H4 LED.

I like the idea of a flashing brake light, thanks for posting the link.?

Compression now stands at

The bounce up from last night was a pleasant surprise.

Will add gas and new 1 range hotter plugs in the AM.

Reapplied medicinal goo to two and three.  Went to wally world and found a set of lights that clamp on the handlebars.  No room on the bars so I put some tape around the signal stalks, they fit nicely.  They are rechargeable via USB. Says good for six hours on steady and 10 on strobe.  Also bought a pair of 4 LED AUX LAMPS to take over for the Amp sucking head lamp.

Hey Sniper, how would one administer the brake fluid.  Wonder if adding 6 or 8 ounces into the first half gallon od gas might work?  Don't want to put anything via the oil as it's a wet clutch which shares oil with the engine. 

Edited by greg g

• 2 months later...

The Diesel Project.

I'm sticking this 315cc Italian diesel with a CVT into this pile of parts that was once an Suzuki GS550L. It has been a challenge. I hope to have it on the road by summers end. Since last summer, the project has changed direction at least three times. Not on a whim, but because something looked good on paper. Real life has a way of giving nut punches to not so well laid out plans.

20210417_131944.jpg

KIMG0405.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Reading about the L-6 engine motorcycle that blew the motor doing 180mph on the salt track brought back an experience I had so I thought I would post it here while killing some time.

I had only ridden jap bikes and the z1-900 was my bike at the time a fellow worker approached me to buy his brother's Harley. His brother belonged to a local chapter and was in jail needing Lawyer money. With no Harley experience but the excitement of a new project I purchased the 1974 bike after looking it over and understanding there were issues. Kickstart only it took a while to start but with good title in hand I started the drive home. Rolling down the road and snap I have cop lights behind me so I pull over and dismount but leave the bike running for fear it won't start. The cop just wanted to bring me the kicker lever that fell off and let me know the lights were dim. 

The old bike frame was raked using steel plates over the neck to flush it out. had an embossed skull on the tank and chrome Girder front end that looked new. I took the bike apart and found a number of things wrong or missing, one being there was no stator in the bike to charge the battery. I rebuilt and upgraded parts and paint and it was a pretty cool ride. No front brake and stock disk in the rear the way many choppers ran back then.

Well, a year or so later I'm returning home after dropping a girl off and riding solo next to a friend and his girl. We're doing 65-70mph down the road and I felt something like a bump, but it seemed something was wrong, so I reached down with my left hand and felt a crack at the lower frame tube just below the neck. Didn't want to hit the rear brake so I slowly started reducing throttle thinking about speed wobble. About the time I put my hand back on the bars another bump like move and I was noticeable lower to the ground, a second later another drop down and the skid pan is dragging on the pavement. My friends said the sparks were shooting out as I was dragging on the pan just hoping it didn't dig in and throw me or the front end separate completely. Amazing all the scenarios that go through your head as it moved side to side like a fishtail. Once it slowed to about 10 mph or so I spied a grassy area and took it to the side of the road where it slowed down quickly in the gravel and fortunately allowed me to ride it out without a complete dismount. Only thing holding the front end on at that point was the front tab on the Mustang gas tank. 

The 2 lower tubes had cracked just under the steel flush plates which I assume was the first drops I felt, when the upper tube let go well the excitement started. All good and not even a scratch to show for it we trucked it home and I started the repair. Looked like some bad welding when they raked it out and then covered it with the plates. 

Picture below is directly after pulling it off the truck in 2 pieces and starting the repair. Still have the bike too

1383516722_ShovelheadFramerepair(2).jpg.44d6ad69526ff35aee4194a5044ac50f.jpg 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

This could have gone in the motorcycle or bicycle thread, so I flipped a coin.

Nice Day For A Ride

I threw the bike rack on the Ural and loaded up the Gitane track frame to visit a cycling buddy in Chicago. A nice day to ride for us cold blooded types. I counted about a dozen other motos out today. It was about a hundred mile round trip from the very far, far south western 'burbs to the NW side of the city.

My buddy supplied me with the rear wheel, plus the handlebar and stem. Everything else I need is in my stash.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, hansen said:

My first chopper,i think this pic is from 1979.Triumph Bonneville T120 650 ,1975, last year for the T120.

Skannad.jpg

Love it. I dig the outfit. You look like a young Chuck Norris, looking for an ass to kick. I love those bunny ear handle bars with the high mirrors.

• Haha 1

I got Buster to sit in the sidecar yesterday. Baby steps as he just isn't sure about this weird machine yet. I think once he gets it that he can go for a ride, he'll be fine. Every time we walk past the Jeep, he wants me to open the tail gate so he can jump in the back.

KIMG0005-1.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 6:09 PM, cheesy said:

Never let a little snow stop you.

Out and About

You must have better tires than me,or do you have 2 wheel drive on the Russian BMW??

I must say that I like your hand warmers!

I did not get far up the hill,with my 70/30 tires.

IMG_7900.jpeg

Edited by hansen
  • Like 2