All motorcycle content

MackTheFinger

4 hours ago, hansen said:

You must have better tires than me,or do you have 2 wheel drive on the Russian BMW??

I must say that I like your hand warmers!

I did not get far up the hill,with my 70/30 tires.

IMG_7900.jpeg

I run Duro HF307 knobby tires on all three corners. They are 6 ply specific to sidecar use. And yes, the Russian Mini-Tractor has 2WD, though I didn't use the 2WD at all this past winter.  The 2WD can help a lot but can also get you more stuck farther into the woods.

The mitts on the handle bars are a generic version of 'Hippo-Hands'. They're pretty good at blocking the wind though you can't wear bulky gloves with them. I have Oxford heated grips inside the mitts. The heated grips can make a very cold ride tolerable.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

This is when a Rocon is nice to have about....

I will agree with Plymouthy. ?

Rokon.jpg.e0c221a89c361cc1b90cc4b68002ef4d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Nomad finally made it back to the garage and I’m knocking the dust off of it. I got a new battery and ran out of chrome polish, so back to the store…

5E6189C2-EB51-4DCB-897C-AE45AC68C288.jpeg.2fd27e005ad6fe3bd713a2e90bb3fd76.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, T120 said:

I will agree with Plymouthy. ?

Rokon.jpg.e0c221a89c361cc1b90cc4b68002ef4d.jpg

I want those.

Which would kill me fastest or maybe give the biggest smile.??  ?

DJ

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made use of the IMWA (Irbit Motor Works of America) warehouse sale of painted steel parts and ordered a new sidecar fender for the Ural. Got the new fender for $69 + shipping. I can't fix my rusted out fender for that.

KIMG0181.JPG.c3cf40ce1c122f8164532ea30ee05132.JPG

• Confused 1

j1B5szel.jpg

My grandsons and I did a little local off roading earlier in the week. Both the ATVs are electric. I didn't feel like changing  clothes to ride my fat bike with them, so I put some 2 stroke into the tank of the Phrench Phart and rode along with them. That's the newer of my two Velosolex mopeds. It's a 1977 4600 V3 built for the US market. With an 18 mph top speed, they couldn't give them away. Is it a bicycle or a moped? Not sure, because it doesn't do either very well.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 10:51 AM, cheesy said:

I made use of the IMWA (Irbit Motor Works of America) warehouse sale of painted steel parts and ordered a new sidecar fender for the Ural. Got the new fender for $69 + shipping. I can't fix my rusted out fender for that.

KIMG0181.JPG.c3cf40ce1c122f8164532ea30ee05132.JPG

That’s an amazing price. I don’t think it could get a fender for any motorcycle for that kind of money. That’s what I paid for a generic unpainted steel trailer fender.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Last Sunday was the 45th annual Chicago Toys for Tots Motorcycle Parade. It was also the first time for me riding it. I'm not a guy for group rides but I had a great time and I'm already looking forward to the 46th.

It was a 55 mile ride for me to get to the start at the Dan Ryan Woods FP at 83rd and Western. It was also 17F when I left home. Glad I have heated grips and winter riding gear. 

There were thousands of motorcycles participating.

MNJziTIm.jpg

And just a few Urals.

uFBuGdxm.jpg

MQqqZbAm.jpg

PxSmEvzm.jpg

The route ran north on Western Ave to Lane Tech High School on Belmont, about 15 miles, and took nearly an hour to cover. A surprising number of people lined the route to watch and wave to the riders.

I had some faith in humanity restored as I was stopped, waiting to turn into the Lane Tech parking lot. A young guy and his little boy came up to my rig and placed an arm load of toys on the sidecar as a donation.

1qKW8h7m.jpg

The ride home was 60 miles and was a tad warmer. I'm glad my buddy talked me into it.

• Like 4

Yesterday was Ural weather. I rode north to have lunch with my old boss and a coworker.

D9jLcEPl.jpg

I was behind a semi on the way back home. 

bR2xXA7l.jpg

Not much choice with drafting the semi. These rigs aren't the most powerful things on the road and the headwinds were brutal. 

• Like 1

It has been over 45 years since I purposely rode a motorcycle in the snow.

I remember going over the pass from Logan Utah to Brigham city (about 7500 feet elevation) In the winter.

I was on a Yamaha 180 2-stroke twin, and it was snowing. By the time I got to Riverdale Utah, I looked like the Michelin tire man. There was 6 inches of snow packed all over the front of me except for my face shield. The spokes had some amazing icicles on them which all pointed towards the brake hub.

Fortunately most of the weight was gained as I was coming down the mountain instead of going up. It would’ve been a much longer trip.

Edited by Ulu
  • Like 1