All motorcycle content

MackTheFinger

I’m approaching a Russian milestone. My Ural sidecar rig has 31,005 miles on it. Another 63 miles and it will have the US equivalent of 50,000 kilometers. Something I was told I’d never see on a Ural. I will admit that the original speedometer crapped out early. ?

EB1EC737-4418-4D8B-BD10-B84DA394CC58.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

UDF or Ural Delay Factor event of the year. ;)

Wife and I took the Ural to the Dairy Joy Cafe in Hinckley, IL for a Saturday cheeseburger run. There must have been some kind of sports car event in the area because there were a few Corvettes, a Porsche or two, and a sweet little 1990 Miata that we parked next to, in the parking lot.  So, my wife and I were sitting on the concrete parking bumper behind the Ural, downing our burgers, when a large Mercedes sedan pulled into the parking lot. A well dressed couple and their son got out of the car and made a beeline to the Ural. Dad and son are giving the rig a once over and asking the usual questions; "Is it a real military bike?, Did you restore it?, It's Russian!!?" Mom pipes up and says, "Both these guys said, Screw the Corvettes, we wanna see that bike."?

Happens with the DeSoto, too.

• Like 3

Enjoying the content. Use to run around on Honda and Kawasaki inline 4s back in the day with trips to the local 1/4 mile track. Hacks are cool and are on my list just need more room. Here is a shot of my fishing boat some friends named the blue whale and a babe on a bike shot.IMG_0268.JPG.f6b5970ec9ff64fad965430c50323962.JPGDSC00003.JPG.dcc7b9a165ca00503311e0c98937940d.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MackTheFinger said:

Do I see a shovelhead for sale?

Good eye Mack. The picture is pretty old, that bike is long gone and the little babe pictured just hit her teen status. ? I have a thing for old shovel and panheads 

PA,

Rigged for some lake Michigan salmon off the south rocks as long as the waves are less than 3footers? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I did a brake fluid flush and oil change on my 42 year old Honda CX500 last night and took it for spin. Woohoo. I'd almost forgot what acceleration and 75 mph felt like after 9 months of Uraling. I did remember to put my foot down when stopping (my big fear) and that there is no heel shifter on the Honda.

I'd also forgotten what a pig the Honda is when I roll it around the garage to get it out.

• Like 1

Well, heck. It looks like the Ural may get parked after next week. It needs a new pusher tire and my tire of choice seems to be out of stock in the entire US until October. There are others available but they're street tires that won't help one bit once the snow flies. I'll have to ride the Honda in the interim.

Oh, the humanity.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:41 AM, cheesy said:

Well, heck. It looks like the Ural may get parked after next week. It needs a new pusher tire and my tire of choice seems to be out of stock in the entire US until October. There are others available but they're street tires that won't help one bit once the snow flies. I'll have to ride the Honda in the interim.

Oh, the humanity.

The stars all aligned and I scored a tire. My granddaughters are coming in from Maine tomorrow and will be wanting in the sidecar on Monday. Methinks a little garage time with them early Monday morning to help change the tire will be interesting.

Just found this thread and just wanted to chime in. Just got my permit about a month ago. While I was working in North Dakota I found a great deal on a good starter bike. Found this 2007 Yamaha Virago 250. It was posted for 1300 and I though it would be good to putter around town on. Met them in Montana and wow what a deal. It only had 550 miles on the odometer. It was basically brand new. Since I have only put about 200 on it but man is it fun. I'll have to work on my own camping rig after seeing some of yours....

20210724_212910.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This followed me home yesterday. It was a 1975 Honda CB750F at one time. It's now UJM powered by an 18hp Briggs & Stratton flat twin. Fifty bucks from me is keeping it out of the scrap heap.

KIMG0041.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 7:31 PM, maddmaxx1949 said:

Just found this thread and just wanted to chime in. Just got my permit about a month ago. While I was working in North Dakota I found a great deal on a good starter bike. Found this 2007 Yamaha Virago 250. It was posted for 1300 and I though it would be good to putter around town on. Met them in Montana and wow what a deal. It only had 550 miles on the odometer. It was basically brand new. Since I have only put about 200 on it but man is it fun. I'll have to work on my own camping rig after seeing some of yours....

A great light bike, I also own one... Good for around town - doesn't disturb the neighbours when I fire it up. ?

• Like 1

Kind of why I bought it. Like to putter around town on it. Not really a go fast kind of person. I swapped the sprockets out to 17/40 and it's like a whole new bike. Only issue now is I think my petcock is leaking because I've run out of gas unexpectedly twice now after it sat for a few days. Got to check oil level in case it's running into the crankcase because that would be bad.

Edit: Cheesy that's an awesome looking bike.

Edited by maddmaxx1949

Well just hit 1000 miles. and go for an oil change. Of course it never goes as planned, accidentally tipped the bike off the jack, dumped all the oil on the floor. Poured gas on myself swapping a suspect petcock, and to top it off the stupid idle jet was plugged for the umpteenth time and I stripped one of the heads of the float cover screws ggahhhh....I love this thing but sometimes I want to crush it.

48 minutes ago, maddmaxx1949 said:

Well just hit 1000 miles. and go for an oil change. Of course it never goes as planned, accidentally tipped the bike off the jack, dumped all the oil on the floor. Poured gas on myself swapping a suspect petcock, and to top it off the stupid idle jet was plugged for the umpteenth time and I stripped one of the heads of the float cover screws ggahhhh....I love this thing but sometimes I want to crush it.

Sadly, I have had plenty of those days. This summer, the bikes and I have been getting along just fine. Me and that bleeping Wrangler…

How to be a cool grandpa? Get a sidecar.

My youngest grandson and I rode to the Chicago edition of the IMS yesterday for his 5th birthday. Does he look happy?

KIMG0066.jpg.bc01ac08ab2a3cc27e38274f4689690b.jpg

We couldn't do much with the motorcycle demos because of his small stature and age, so we found kid stuff to do. And there was plenty to keep him happy.

We ran into a downpour on the way home, but grandpa was a Boy Scout and keeps rain gear in the sidecar trunk. He must have been tuckered out as he fell asleep in the sidecar, in the rain

.KIMG0073.jpg.e8c319ed5fdf117deeb610b54d751a78.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

A future 'Sit, Stay, Ride' candidate. Our grand puppy, Anna.(The grandsons have this 'Frozen' fixation) 12 weeks, 20 lbs, and glass shards for teeth. This is the first step in training, getting her to just sit in the sidecar. So far, a natural.

KIMG0092.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Remember this abomination?

KIMG0039.jpg.830eb7ee0909ca8c3ec50d83f9205e19.jpgI

I finally got around to pulling the starter today. It was locked up with a rusty armature. It took about 90 minutes to make it nice and shiny. And conductive. I hooked up my big battery charger to it and it spun like new. Got it back in the engine and it turns over now. Next step will be getting some spark out of the Magnatron coil to the spark plugs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The local Ural dealer had Ural Demo Days last Saturday so the missus and I rode our Ural out to check out the '22 models.  Wow, is all I can say. Ural has come into the 21st century. Still under-powered for a 750 but a rocket compared to my '07.

We didn't splurge but we probably will next summer after I retire. My wife really liked the new Gear Up.

And that abomination in the post above, runs like a top. Next up is rewiring.

• 2 weeks later...

" There's nothing in this world like a 52 Vincent and a red headed girl " - Richard Thompson. I just like the song. ?

The last time I saw a Vincent up close was at a vintage British motorcycle gathering going back 25 years...As for red heads and black leather, that's always spelled trouble! ?

I grew up with a family of red heads living across the street. I left home before the two girls got interesting. They found me on FB and the insults coming at me are the same as they were 50 years ago. I do give back.