All motorcycle content

MackTheFinger

Saw a friend from Alabama a few minutes into this one. Surprised me a little but he does get around. I only have one motorcycle trip planned so far this year, Labor Day in Davenport. Have also been thinking either Mora, Mn to see my little brother or New Orleans to see my old friend Bob. Either way, nothing beats a 1,000 mile road trip! ?

Edited by MackTheFinger

I miss our camping trips on the motorcycles.  Three to four day excursions, cooking over the campfire, pitching tents and basically enjoying the local sites and scenery.  Alas when the workplace closed years ago, this brought this to an end as everyone was spread all about neighboring states for new employment.

• Like 1

A lot of people haul their bikes here and there and then ride around the countryside a few hours but I'm really not into that. A couple of days riding alone is always enjoyable, though. The kid and I have been planning an extended trip to the southwest for almost forever but I can't think of anyone else I'd want to spend days on the road with. I've ridden with people who'll drive you nuts stopping at every exit for this, that, or the other..  I'm old, I need to get things done fast!! ?

• Like 1

It's been a while for myself, too.

Normally, I'd be on my way to Wabasha, MN on this very day with my 1968 Raleigh on the back of my sidecar. A lot of motorcycling riding for a little bicycling but worth every minute of it. I'd make a four day weekend of it. This year, bleah. Rode hard and put away wet by my employer already this year. 

Everyone hates your sidecar until you show up at camp with dinner for twelve and a keg of beer.

20190516_094139.jpg

• Like 5

"You and your &%$#@ side hack... by the way, can you carry this for me? I don't have room on my bike." ?

I haven't done a good motorcycle road/camping trip in a while either. Always a good time though. 

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Haha 1

When my wife and I go. She needs a few more creature comforts than I do. I have to say, though, that about 10 years ago I used both a cot and a chair in my tent and wondered, loudly, why I hadn't done it before.

The Russian mini tractor is slow and noisy but it get the job done,

20171019_140330_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

I've a friend up here that has one of them Ural motorcycles - with sidecar (do they even come without one?)  He gets the same ration of poop for having it, but also the same request to haul other riders' stuff when they do road trips.  He's also the only one still riding in December (a feat up here), and starting to ride again in April (more of a feat). 

44 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

I've a friend up here that has one of them Ural motorcycles - with sidecar (do they even come without one?)  He gets the same ration of poop for having it, but also the same request to haul other riders' stuff when they do road trips.  He's also the only one still riding in December (a feat up here), and starting to ride again in April (more of a feat). 

I have a couple of acquaintances in Maine with Urals, or worse, Dneprs. To a one, they all say that their rigs have made Maine a much larger state. My kid lives in Union, BTW. And Ural used to sell solo bikes. Depending on the year they were either known as the Solo (duh) or the Wolf. I have been on the hunt for a while for one. I'd like to get a 650 just because I am glutton for punishment.

I have been out at -10F, ridden hundreds of miles in torrential rains and blinding snow storms, been stuck enough that I had to use the included shovel to get out and packed an entire cookout for coworkers who were being let go in a reorganization. The driven sidecar wheel is a double edged sword, it can get you out of a jam or get you more stuck. Reverse gear is a godsend when having to back the pig up.

In a few hours, I'm going to put the bicycle rack on the rig and ride an hour north to pick up a donated Schwinn for our Bike Co-Op. The Ural is a damn handy little machine.

Have a friend with a Ural diesel.  He makes his own bio diesel fuel and has run the Ural nearly 120 000 miles on his home made fuel.  In his early time he used the catalyzed process, then he built a filtering rig.  Now he has a small tank of dinodiesel to start the bike, and the regular tank of bio fuel that he switches to after the engine gets up to temp. Carries his reserve fuel in the side car..  Following him down the road was like standing near the exhaust fan of a Chinese restaurant.

• Haha 2

It's not all Ural everyday. Sometimes it's a 43 year old Honda with V-twin engine orientation confusion. There's also a couple of even older French Solex mopeds and an old Suzuki GS basket case that is being brought back to life with diesel power, just because.

KIMG0560.jpg

It sits in the shed on a battery tender.

C091D9BE-82DC-41AE-96B6-E90BFBEF212A.jpeg.2e646a1a28c8ec6fd134bff3a284cbc4.jpeg

After 7 bikes and 45 years of motorcycling, I just don’t have the urge to tour any more.

I have been thinking of trading on a lighter runabout bike like the Harley.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cheesy said:

V-twin engine orientation confusion

I don't know if it's true but the story is that Honda used Moto Guzzi's transverse v-twin arrangement in a trade for the rights to use Honda's automatic transmission technology. I bought a Honda CX that had a leaky water pump in the '90's. It had bags and a Pacifica bathtub fairing on it. An ugly thing for sure. It had also been repainted yellow, my least favorite color. I sold all the peripheral parts that were worth anything and took the rest to the salvage yard.  I still have the wheels, forks, radiator and a few other parts that wouldn't sell. The pic is my 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador. I've since taken off the Ducati mufflers and put new exhaust on it. Absolutely great motorcycles, rock solid dependable and easy to work on. 

1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador.jpg

• Like 2

I hadn't heard that one. May or not be true. The early CX bikes(78-80)had some teething issues; charging system failures, timing chain tensioners imploding, ignition system failures, exploding cooling fans and leaky water pumps.

I rescued mine from an attempted Cafe' racer hack and went through all of the above in rebuilding it. The problematic CDI was replaced with a Hall Effect system from OZ that runs on 12VDC instead of 150VACs, replaced the timing chain and tensioners. All bulbs, save for the headlight, are LED, the headlight is HID. Because I eliminated the major amp draw, the headlight and CDI, I went with a MOSFET R&R. Put in a temp controlled rad fan and a spin on oil filter. It was a bunch of work but it's now a dependable ride. Once the engine is warmed up, the starter button is basically an ON switch.

It's been up to N. Wisconsin several times, Davenport a time or two, and was my daily commuter until I got the Ural.

I couldn't get the water pump to quit leaking on the one I parted out. I looked for another CX for a while but just never came across the right one. I sold the carbs to a really nice and fairly well-known fellow from Greenup, Il. He had spent some time at the Peoria TT in the early '60s with a gentleman with my name, not MacktheFinger but my real name; and Dick Mann. I promised to visit him in Greenup sometime but still haven't gotten around to it.

Edited by MackTheFinger

I have a young friend in the UK that turned me on to the CX. He had a love/hate relationship with his and eventually swapped it for a later Yamaha. I think the CX quirkiness is what appealed to me as I seem to always go against the flow. I'd have a Suzuki RE5 if it wouldn't break the bank.

I plan on some local MC fun with my youngest grandson this summer. Blackhawk is opening back up and he wants to see some racing. Also, the Chicago IMS is outdoors in Pingree Grove, IL this year, Aug 20-23. Right on time for his birthday. Maybe Davenport, too, but as the owner of a CX, Ural, and a couple of Solexes, Davenport is usually just a long walk. And if you're lucky, it won't rain.

I understand completely. That's partially why I like Moto Guzzis. Useta be a guy near here that had one of those rotary Suzukis. Like everybody else called "Tiny" he was enormous.  About 6'8" and at least 400 lbs. I'd forgotten about him. Kept that rotary spinning!!

I enjoy the flat track racing at Davenport and a good friend keeps a couple of shady swap meet spots. It's a good place to kill time and shoot the breeze. I'm thinking about Barber this year, too.. Would like to go to Wauseon and Mid-Ohio but the time just doesn't exist.

Edited by MackTheFinger

I know it's not a touring bike but here is my current project. 1970 triumph tiger 650. Hoping to have it back on the road by mid summer. Looking forward to cruising around the Santa Cruz mountains and up the cost to San Francisco.

PXL_20210307_214257134_copy_2268x3024.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/19/2021 at 7:29 PM, Young Ed said:

Not much of a bike guy but if either of you make it to MN drop me a line!

Normally I'd be in the Red Wing/Wabasha area the weekend after Mothers Day for the Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour, but opted out because my employer is trying to get the most out of me before I retire in October.

1 hour ago, cheesy said:

Normally I'd be in the Red Wing/Wabasha area the weekend after Mothers Day for the Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour, but opted out because my employer is trying to get the most out of me before I retire in October.

Then when you come next year you'll be retired and have free time!