LEDs - Why NOT?

meezy

19 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I personally would like to take my ham fist & beat the crap out of the face of those with led lights.

yeah I get it, you have great lighting .... the guy driving on the highway opposing you is blinded.

I just do not get it ... yes this is 2021 and we have great lighting ... same time we need some appreciation for the others on the road ... Not into a "my lights are brighter then your lights"

Some new models of cars on the road I would like to take a D9 cat & push them off the road.

So I get it, yeah led is the newest thing ... I really would not want to blind my fellow traveler with them.

this is the reason the DOT approves lights...many you are disturbed at are not running DOT approved lamps.....most place HID, LED and other unapproved lights into housing not so designed to control aim and project the light in a fashion to allow you to see, but at the same not disrupt the ability of others to see at the same time.    This is the great problem....ability to find and install illegal lighting.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I personally would like to take my ham fist & beat the crap out of the face of those with led lights.

yeah I get it, you have great lighting .... the guy driving on the highway opposing you is blinded.

That would be cheap and/or misadjusted LED headlights.  Good ones are no more annoying than Halogens.  Too many times I pass an 18 wheeler and he's got his brights on, or the headlamps misadjusted, or both.  Used to be a time when those guys were the pros, now it's rare to see it.

• Like 1

I upgraded my tail lamps to LEDS and the after market signal lights that were added by someone who had the car before me. As mentioned in another reply and signal lights need a special flasher to work. The bulbs I purchased are 6v positive ground and were plug and play. I'm planning to upgrade the headlights next with their led headlight bulb and 7" round lamp housing. 

I purchased my bulbs from LEDlight.com 

3 minutes ago, OJD 1972 said:

I upgraded my tail lamps to LEDS and the after market signal lights that were added by someone who had the car before me. As mentioned in another reply and signal lights need a special flasher to work. The bulbs I purchased are 6v positive ground and were plug and play. I'm planning to upgrade the headlights next with their led headlight bulb and 7" round lamp housing. 

I purchased my bulbs from LEDlight.com 

unnamed (6).jpg

These guys make some very nice quality LEDs for the back of the P15s, complete with new chrome. I have them running on one of my P15s. The LEDs look a little out of place but they are nice and bright and the chrome surrounds are top notch. 

Technostalgia :: Plymouth LED Tail Lights (cool-leds.com)

My feeling is that most of the jerks blinding you with LED's had been blinding you with their OEM bulbs before they switched.  Most people these days don't have a clue about aiming headlights (or proper use of foglights, a concern of mine when driving my BMW 2-seater M Coupe.)  A properly designed LED will display the same beam pattern as the stock bulb, everything else is the subject of aiming.  In my BMW I installed 20W LED; much improved light but no one flashes their headlights at me.  Same with both of the pickup trucks.  Other people with the same BMW put in 50W bulbs, which worked much better until the high heat started discoloring the internal plastic lenses in our headlight assemblies.  Buyer beware.

Marty

48 minutes ago, martybose said:

A properly designed LED will display the same beam pattern as the stock bulb, everything else is the subject of aiming.

Exactly, but properly designed LED headlights are not cheap.

Following up to say my 6V + ground LED headlight bulbs arrived today. The seller is in Arizona. USA, I was half-ways expecting a decent product. 

Upon opening the package I see a “Made In China” sticker. On my packing slip it reads Non-Returnable. Non-cancelable. No warranty. 
Hmm. Not good I’m thinking. 

The light assembly quality was total garbage. Which is where they ended up here. In my trash bin. Cheap junk. Oh well. I gave it a shot.  Not a total loss. At the least, I was reminded to be more diligent in my research. 

Edited by keithb7

The guys at Technostalgia made a 6 volt set of tail lights for a short while (for our P 15s), but stopped making them due to low

demand.  I believe they are still producing 12 volt LED tail lights and center brake light.  As I recall, their brake light flashes

3 times in rapid succession when one initially steps on the brake pedal......to get the following driver's attention.   

How my tail/brake lights look.........

DSC06996.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=   

• Like 1