The Road Less Travelled

RobertKB

11 hours ago, dpollo said:

I am about to build an Inukshuk of sorts using empty Chrysler engine blocks and heads as building " blocks"

Just so the people will know I was here.       

sculpture so to speak

I am green with envy of the exploits of bamfordsgarage. It's half the reason I have my '47 dodge.  I grew up in the Midwest, so I know the concept of BFE,

Yet I always think of the end of "Castaway" when I think of vastness of our country.

Unpaved roads are very few and far between in Massachusetts.  I ran into this one in the town of Westminster on the south side of Mt. Wachusett. The main road goes around the north side of the mountain to the ski resort, but this road is the road less travelled. It goes for a mile or two before connecting to very old, weathered pavement.

1BFF65B6-5975-43DE-876D-A9C5C4EC0711.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to tell from this picture but that looks like a pulverizer/stabilizer. Those are used to completely grind up the pavement, and the road base underneath it. Then the road is re-graded and compacted before laying down a new pavement layer. That's not a machine used for chip-sealing a road. 

51 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Hard to tell from this picture but that looks like a pulverizer/stabilizer. Those are used to completely grind up the pavement, and the road base underneath it. Then the road is re-graded and compacted before laying down a new pavement layer. That's not a machine used for chip-sealing a road. 

Correct. They are going to build up the road base before the chip and seal. They learned their lesson last year when just chipping and sealing a road with a crappy road base..... they are completely redoing it.

unlike some folks and their hotrods.....these things truly DO EAT UP the highway.......we could use a new paved surface on our road...actually I am concerned as this road is always settling to a degree as there are mine shafts all beneath this section of the county...one day I suspect I will be driving to town and the bump in the road will be the roof of the car that went before me.