It’s a Runner - after 20 years+

RobertKB

I’ve had this spare engine for about twenty years. I ran it when I first got it and it’s been sitting in my garage since. I robbed a couple of pieces off it that were needed elsewhere, fuel pump being one. 

Lately, I’ve been watching a lot of Cold War Motors and they start engines that have sat for ages, lots of them Mopar flatties. Motivated by that, I decided to get my old flattie going. It turned over fine. I removed plugs to help build oil pressure quickly. Reinstalled plugs and checked for spark which was strong. Put a bit of gas down the carb and cranked. It fired immediately and ran for about five seconds. Next I’ll be hooking up a fuel line to run it a bit longer. Then finally add a spare radiator and really run her for a while.  

The motor came out of a wrecked car and only had about 2,000 miles since a professional rebuild. It’s a truck engine T311 which makes it a 228 CID. I’ll try to post a video later when rad has been added and I can run it longer. 

79335231-774E-43E0-B2F5-159057675004.jpeg.514277db392b4591a48ccf242c2f2c20.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 13

• RobertKB changed the title to It’s a Runner - after 20 years+

I had been thinking about a Fargo truck but it needed everything which is more than I want to take on. I’ve got three old Mopars I drive and it’s a good spare “just in case”. However, I’d never rule out a project needing less work than the truck. 

It is a lot of fun. All kinds of projects, characters, and craziness! Plenty of Plymouths also as well as plaid and poodles. I look forward to it every Saturday afternoon! They have a lot of enjoyment from a variety of old cars. I’m enjoying the ‘59 Buicks right now. It’s actually done in my province although a good 325 miles north of where I live. 

Edited by RobertKB

8 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

Coldwarmotors is the most entertaining thing I’ve watched in decades.

Stella rocks.  Been watching them again for the past couple weeks. The Dodge mountain tour car is interesting.  The roof sky lights are cool.  He also noted that the bumpers had 6 inch spacers in ther middles and the body was wider by a similar dimension.  Loved the Frazer episodes.  Watched last night the lot tour of all the cars 51 or 52.  Waiting for more work on the speedster/roadster.

I’m thinking (guessing) he has plans for the ‘51 Dodge limo mountain tour car. It is one of the few cars that lives out of the weather. 

Stella was fun but I really like Frankers. 

Other YouTube channels to watch that are very similar to ColdWarMotors: 

Vice Grip Garage 

Junkyard Digs

Mortske Repair

Many revival videos of cars and engines that have been sitting for multiple decades. More entertaining than regular television in my opinion. 

I like HalfAssKustoms. His fearlessness at tackling any project is admirable but for some reason I have to watch the episodes a little at a time.. Ten minutes in.. ZZZZZ!!  Tried watching Coldwarmotors once but the guy's voice bugged me too much. KeithB's really good and Pacific Mike's good if you like sickles..?