front brake hose

steve3050

I am replacing front brake hoses and cylinders in my 53 Plymouth. I am unclear about whether to use a copper washer under the fitting that goes into the brake cylinder. The photo shows the old hose and the copper washer that was on it. The copper washer was pulled partly into the hole in the backing plate, and the washer was distorted as shown. I have seen the term banjo fitting but do not know if that is what the 53 has. I've done some online information on these hoses on '50's cars, but I need to know what 53 Plymouth used. Thanks for any help on this subject. I don't want to make a mistake with brakes!

brake hose.jpg

My 52 has the copper washers. I don't see them listed separately in Andy Bernbaum's catalog, so I assume they came with the new hoses. Might want to give him a call to verify. 

9 minutes ago, Booger said:

cant hurt but dont see the necessity. just replaced one on 49  not used

If the sealing surfaces of the hose fitting and wheel cylinder are perfectly square to the threads, they will usually seal.  But I wouldn't want to be on the quality of the machining on a part of unknown national origin (or known origin for that matter).

• Like 1

I would definitely use a copper washer between the brake hose and wheel cylinder. You are asking for leak trouble otherwise. 

Copper washer you are showing is either original or a replacement one the same as original. It just has the extra material which fits the hole in the backing plate and prevented dirt of moisture getting in. New copper washers are fine to use but do leave a bit of a gap for crap to get in. If you want to use the old washers you should anneal them. Heat them with a propane torch until cherry red and let them cool slowly.  I did this with  the original style washers on my ‘51 Dodge. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

I take it that was the front upper hose into the wheel cylinder? If yes absolutely needs a soft copper washer.

The one you will get will be a std small OD copper washer.

The large OD one shown is an original equipment copper washer that also seals the the wheel cylinder/hose assembly to the backing plate.

Not available anymore.

The hose that connects to the rear axle brass "T" has that same inverted flare and needs NO copper washer.

• Like 1

Below is the page that shows  the various copper washer gaskets used on cars.  Also look in your parts book and see if you can find a mopar part number I might beable to tell you which specific copper gasket tot purchase.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

image.png.a6c108f1db645e3b7c4851758bf1ebe6.png

A lot of the new copper gaskets are way too hard and can leak as mentioned!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Spelling error
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the help. In the next few days I hope to get the hoses on and get them sealed using annealed copper washers. I'll post on how it turns out.