top folding motor needed

Go Fleiter

Looking for a good powerful electrical motor. Mine is a bit tired now.

My setup is not hydraulical and thus has no reservoir. It is purely mechanical with worm gear and spindle and flexible cable connecting it to the topfolding  motor.

Motor needs square receptor hole for square end of the flexible shaft´s braided wire core (identical to speedo cable connections)

Motor is oriented horizontally, see foto attached.

Foto shows diameter of approx. 3,2 Inch (~8,2 cm) and length of approx 4 1/3 Inch (~11 cm).

It has the 3 wire configuration as shown.

Bernbaum´s only stocks hydraulical setups and pump motors. At Kanter´s I couldn´t find any.

Any suggestion, where I could find?

Thanks!

Greetings from Düsseldorf

top motor B Txt.jpg

top motor L Txt.jpg

20200425_165525 KL.jpg

Monte Carlo.jpg

Edited by Go Fleiter

• Go Fleiter changed the title to top folding motor needed

Wouldn't it maybe be easier to take it to an electric motor rewind company and have them renew/rebuild  it? Chances are that if you find one,it's going to be worn-out also.

Just don't let them get obsessed with "top motor for a 70 year old Plymouth",thing. Don't even tell them if you can avoid it. Just let them look at it as a "gonna rebuild a old electric motor" thing. Just new brushes and bushings,a good cleaning,and done with it.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

Are you still running 6 volts, or have you converted to 12 v?  If the latter, you might find a motor from a power seat that might have the same square shank.  (I kept the motors out of the seat of a 93 Chrysler Town & Country that have square cable drive.  But without measuring, I'm guessing that the cable is only around 3 or 4 mm. square.)

re: rewinding a motor - An older co-worker back in Brazil taught me how to do this years ago, but it was only a single speed, single direction rotation motor.  (Well, actually it was a three speed motor to start with, but I rewound it as a single speed.)  I don't know how much more complicated it would be for a reversible rotation motor. Maybe that is determined by the type of magnets, and not the winding?

Edited by Eneto-55

Old dryer up grease can bind the cables in their sheath. So before the motor, I would remove the cables, cleaner any old grease from inside the outer sheath and lubricate them. See if that might make a difference in operation. Same with screw and the roof frame mechanism.

Also you could use a two wire motor and handle the direction switching via relays.

Edited by vintage6t

Very good ideas! Thabnk You all1

I cleaned bearings and collector and replaced bushings , but was not satiafied with the improvement.

I forgot the cables!

Seems to be the weather to do this in sunshine one of these days!

PS.: I gave one overdrive solenoid to rewind - legendary german craftmaship reqired - with complete failure!

But maybe I may have to reconsider rewinding at another craftsman !

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go