High oil pressure.

I am using 5W30 synthetic oil in my 1954 Dodge 230.   On cold start up the pressure reads between 40 and 45 psi.

Stays at 40 psi when warmed up.  My oil pump has the pressure regulator built into it. I suspect it may be from a different engine.

Regulator consists of a relief spring, relief valve, and ball bearing.

Can the pressure be adjusted.

Thanks in advanced

No problem with pressures in the 40s.  My rebuilt 230 goes down the road at 40 to 45 all the time, this with about 45k on a rebuild. Factory recommended do not exceed is 50psi.  The only concern would be the condition of the rubber anti vibration section in the pressure gauge plumbing.  If you don't know it's history, replace it.

Thank you for your reply Greg, it seems to come down to " if it ain't broke don't fix it " 

Elevated oil pressure, GOOD,  elevated blood pressure, BAD.

I will go with the flow....  Green lights and blue sky's Greg.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 1:20 AM, greg g said:

No problem with pressures in the 40s.  My rebuilt 230 goes down the road at 40 to 45 all the time, this with about 45k on a rebuild. Factory recommended do not exceed is 50psi.  The only concern would be the condition of the rubber anti vibration section in the pressure gauge plumbing.  If you don't know it's history, replace it.

My oil gauge was damaged years ago by prior owner.I only restored it putting a new letters and numbers.The pointer was straighted.With engine off the pointer stays between 0-40 and in idle between 40-80.At 50 km per hour(same 30 m.p.h) the pointer stays near 40.I would like to know if my engine oil pressure is correct or not.

Motor funcionando.JPG

Motor parado.JPG

Seems like your actual oil pressure is ok but the gauge is wrong since it doesn't go to 0 when off. I would take it out and set it back to 0 when off and also verify running pressure with a second gauge as Greg said

36 minutes ago, Fernando Mendes said:

I searched but did not find a B3-B new oil gauge in Ebay.Can I try for a while in a WWII GMC oil gauge truck?

DSCN6996.JPG

The GMC gauge should work just fine for comparison. 

Just now, Fernando Mendes said:

I searched but did not find a B3-B new oil gauge in Ebay.Can I try for a while in a WWII GMC oil gauge truck?

While you could use it, how would you know it was more accurate then the one you have?

If you bought a new cheap after market gauge that bolts under the dash, hook it up and set it on the floor or the seat and go for a drive. Compare it to what your original gauge is showing.

Maybe yours is pretty close? At least you would know what it is .... then try the WWII and see if it is reading correct .... I think you kinda need a known working test gauge to compare your readings.

21 hours ago, Fernando Mendes said:

My oil gauge was damaged years ago by prior owner.I only restored it putting a new letters and numbers.The pointer was straighted.With engine off the pointer stays between 0-40 and in idle between 40-80.At 50 km per hour(same 30 m.p.h) the pointer stays near 40.I would like to know if my engine oil pressure is correct or not.

Motor funcionando.JPG

Motor parado.JPG

This oil pressure gauge appears out of calibration as it does not read zero with the engine not generating oil pressure.  However, the pressure range that gauge is displaying appears consistent with the pressure range of a normally operating engine.  From what I recall, the oil pressure gauge operates from direct oil pressure from the engine acting on a flat copper tube that is formed in a curve, acting like a spring, so that increasing oil pressure tries to straighten the copper, and the copper returns to its formed shape with decreasing pressure.  At the end of this copper spring is a rod that contacts the gauge pointer mechanism.  On my '48, its oil pressure gauge was not reading zero with the engine off.  So I massaged the copper tube with my fingers and thumb carefully to make the gauge read zero with no oil pressure applied.  This is a delicate operation so great care must be used when handling these parts.  Once I made the gauge read zero at no oil pressure, the oil pressure gauge showed that the engine was operating at normal oil pressures, just as the shop manual listed.  I verified my oil pressure readings with a new replacement mechanical oil pressure gauge that I bought at the auto parts store, made in Taiwan with a nylon pressure tube...my assumption was that the new gauge had been calibrated, and once my original gauge matched the readings of the new gauge, I assumed that my original gauge was then calibrated also.  Generally speaking, the oil pressure gauge is only used to get an idea of engine operation, so it does not have to be accurate in pressures measured as much as the range of pressures measured.

Edited by JBNeal

I like @JBNeal solution ... I was curious and checked a extra set of gauges  I have sitting in a box. The temp gauge is sitting at just over 100 & oil is pegged at 80. No clue what they would do connected.  .... while the gauges installed in the truck all sit at zero. Seem to work fine ...  Then I have another set That I will be replacing the working gauges in my truck with. So some seem to act funny, while others appear to be normal.

Jbneal is showing a way to fix what you have. And some times it really is the best way to correct your problem.

To be careful here, I want to say there is no commerce or trading allowed in the regular forums. You need to post in the classified section or send a personal message to another and keep it out of the regular forum .... so do not ask in this thread. pm or classified section!

And just saying in the past, maybe 15 years ago, I wanted to give a computer chip to someone in Brazil. they pay shipping.  15 years ago with the tariffs it was over $100 usd for a item that would fit in a postal envelope. Just not worth the extra cost.  Sure it is more today & not less.

My whole point here, if I did give you the extra set of gauges for free, just not cost effective to ship them. & then you would still need to do same procedure to fix them. Just fix what you have if is possible.

0521211251.jpg

0521211303.jpg

4 hours ago, Los_Control said:

While you could use it, how would you know it was more accurate then the one you have?

If you bought a new cheap after market gauge that bolts under the dash, hook it up and set it on the floor or the seat and go for a drive. Compare it to what your original gauge is showing.

Maybe yours is pretty close? At least you would know what it is .... then try the WWII and see if it is reading correct .... I think you kinda need a known working test gauge to compare your readings.

Compare it to what your original gauge is showing.

DSCN7036.JPG

Today I disassembled the oil gauge and noticed that pointer was not touching its stop place with engine off.Then I moved a spring kind horseshoe attached to the pointer and now it begins to touch its rest place.When in idle the pointer stays between 40 and 80 pounds.(video Mopar 1948 says in idle near zero).The pointer was just a little bit different from zero(stop place) with engine off.

On 5/11/2021 at 9:15 PM, glasspacks said:

Thank you for your reply Greg, it seems to come down to " if it ain't broke don't fix it " 

Elevated oil pressure, GOOD,  elevated blood pressure, BAD.

I will go with the flow....  Green lights and blue sky's Greg.

Funny you mention colors.

Here's copy of manual regarding 0il Pressure Relief Valve.

"different colored springs are
used in the oil pressure relief valve ( Fig. 186) .
The standard spring is not painted; springs
lighter than standard are painted red; springs
heavier than standard are painted green. If,
for any reason, the springs have to be replaced,
the same color spring should be used"

High pressure can be high engine temperature and/or oil flow is constricted or slowed, parts of engine may not receive adequate lubrication. 

Edited by chrysler1941

1 hour ago, chrysler1941 said:

Funny you mention colors.

Here's copy of manual regarding 0il Pressure Relief Valve.

"different colored springs are
used in the oil pressure relief valve ( Fig. 186) .
The standard spring is not painted; springs
lighter than standard are painted red; springs
heavier than standard are painted green. If,
for any reason, the springs have to be replaced,
the same color spring should be used"

High pressure can be high engine temperature and/or oil flow is constricted or slowed, parts of engine may not receive adequate lubrication. 

Which color is for my CHRYSLER IND 251?Considering the correct direction of oil flow is main to rod(pic),then after the restriction we have low pressure,right?

DSCN7037.JPG

14 hours ago, Fernando Mendes said:

Which color is for my CHRYSLER IND 251?Considering the correct direction of oil flow is main to rod(pic),then after the restriction we have low pressure,right?

The Chrysler Industrial Manual has the same language.....

1976715990_OPSpring.PNG.3a8f7084387c95562841074143e24508.PNG

Oil pressure will vary at different locations throughout the lubrication system, as shown in the vintage film screenshot.  My guess is that the different springs were for use in arctic or desert conditions.