Please help identify my project

I purchased a 51-53 Fargo 1/2 ton project and need some help figuring out exactly what I have. The young fella I got it from is no help as he thought it was a 50 Fargo.

The main truck itself doesn't have any vin or serial tags other than a body number.

The frame is pretty crusty so the kid bought a second rolling frame and driveline.

It is obvious to me that the frame is not the same and also has no tags. The frame has 6 bolt rims and is definitely longer and beefier. The fuel tank runs along the driver side of the frame instead of across it.

I haven't been able to find much info out about these searching the web.

Any help would be appreciated. I will try to get some pics loaded up shortly.

Thank you

Really not much info there, need photos. The 6 lug could be a 49 chebby or a 1990 chebby, anything inbetween or a Dodge Dakota.

I think some mazda trucks also used 6 lug along with Ford ranger. I had a 67 Datsun truck with 6 lug ... So 6 lug tells nothing.

Pics of the interior, front grille would help tell the year of the body.

I am now curious, did some of the 1 ton dodge trucks use 6 lug wheels? or were they all 5 lug like I suspect but not sure.

Check your wheelbase.  I suspect you have a 3/4 ton chassis.  The grille section and doors would indicate a 51-53.  If the box in the background goes with the truck and fits the frame, how long is it and what type of fenders?

Yes block heater.  Those split rim wheels are very dangerous.  Check out you tube as to why. Don't attempt to air them up. Any one could be a time bomb if you don't know about proper procedures.  The one pictured is very sketchy!

14 hours ago, tom'sB2B said:

T72 block # looks to make an engine from 1939

https://t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/tengines.html

Thanks Tom. That engine is on the rolling frame. Looks like someone started a resto of some kind on it. The number on the other pretty crusty engine starts with a M7?

The spare is just sitting on the back of the frame. Its resting on a Ford 8.8 that came with the project.

Edited by Lumpy5oh
Added info

10 hours ago, greg g said:

Yes block heater.  Those split rim wheels are very dangerous.  Check out you tube as to why. Don't attempt to air them up. Any one could be a time bomb if you don't know about proper procedures.  The one pictured is very sketchy!

I'm not going to be using them original rims. They do look pretty sketchy.

I won't be able to get to look at over till Monday or Tuesday. I'm going to get wheelbase lengths of both trucks and more pictures. 

Is there and numbers or telltale markings to look for to determine what they front and rear axles are?

4 minutes ago, Lumpy5oh said:

The spare is just sitting on the back of the frame. Its resting on a Ford 8.8 that came with the project.

That is a very common rear end to swap into these trucks, the width is good and a variety of gear choices .... same with the Jeep Cherokee rear ends.

The front axle may be a bit of a challenge. to get the same 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern as the 8.8

What little I know about the 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks, the 1/2 has 4.5" bolt pattern with 10" brake drums, the 3/4 is 5 on 5" bolt pattern with 11" brake drums.

Then there are a few other items like wheel base, springs etc...

Someone suggest it may be a 3/4 ton with those wheels and they may be right, I am guessing at least a 1 ton with heavy duty drums. Or a heavy duty 3/4 ton?

Depending what you want to do with the truck, the 8.8 would be straight forward, then swap in disk brakes on the front & have good drive-ability matching bolt pattern all around.

With your heavy duty drums, I suspect the disk brake kits available may use smaller wheel bearings. You may need to do some figuring there to see whats going on.

Or swap in a axle from a 1/2 ton and work with it.

You may want to stay stock, then finding brake drums, shoes , wheels are not always easy either. You may be lucky and find yours in good condition.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 1:21 PM, Los_Control said:

I am now curious, did some of the 1 ton dodge trucks use 6 lug wheels? or were they all 5 lug like I suspect but not sure.

the one-ton pilothouse series trucks used 6-lug wheels.

• Thanks 2

1 tons with a pickup bed are cool, they are 9' long & pretty rare. Most 1 ton that era were flat beds or commercial style dump or box or whatever.

In a chance yours has a box & running boards to fit. They are rare as hens teeth.

The wheel photo you showed was not a dually. Pretty sure  the option for duals was available & then they had wider rear fenders on the rear.

Family has a 9' pickup box 1 ton dualy International truck. I am sure all  Ford, Dodge, Chebby offered this option.

But guessing a single wheel 1 ton may most likely be a full fender 9' bed truck?

You got us guessing, I am just excited for you  :)

1953 Fargo’s are one year only as they have the two piece windshield and the bubbly square rear fenders that look like this...

If you find any info on decoding your body tag I’d be interested. 
my body tag is #5112-25674

Im wondering if yours is similar. 
I have a 53 Fargo and also live in Ontario near Ottawa

E64939F1-D698-489C-9CBB-ECCC2AC4B360.jpeg

Edited by NoGoFargo
Add more information

On 5/12/2021 at 10:51 AM, NoGoFargo said:

1953 Fargo’s are one year only as they have the two piece windshield and the bubbly square rear fenders that look like this...

If you find any info on decoding your body tag I’d be interested. 
my body tag is #5112-25674

Im wondering if yours is similar. 
I have a 53 Fargo and also live in Ontario near Ottawa

E64939F1-D698-489C-9CBB-ECCC2AC4B360.jpeg

My body tag is the only real ID I have on this truck. It is 5112-20012. The truck does have the 2 piece front window. The box and fenders that I have with the truck are not original to the truck.

Cool finding someone in the province with something similar.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 5:14 PM, Los_Control said:

1 tons with a pickup bed are cool, they are 9' long & pretty rare. Most 1 ton that era were flat beds or commercial style dump or box or whatever.

In a chance yours has a box & running boards to fit. They are rare as hens teeth.

The wheel photo you showed was not a dually. Pretty sure  the option for duals was available & then they had wider rear fenders on the rear.

Family has a 9' pickup box 1 ton dualy International truck. I am sure all  Ford, Dodge, Chebby offered this option.

But guessing a single wheel 1 ton may most likely be a full fender 9' bed truck?

You got us guessing, I am just excited for you  :)

Unfortunately I just have the 1 ton frame and driveline, no box or running boards.

I am leaning towards using them 8.8 and the 1/2 ton axle upgraded to disc.

16 hours ago, Lumpy5oh said:

My body tag is the only real ID I have on this truck. It is 5112-20012. The truck does have the 2 piece front window. The box and fenders that I have with the truck are not original to the truck.

Cool finding someone in the province with something similar.

Can anyone shed some light on our body numbers ? 
5112-2****
Im going to guess that 5112 has something to do with the body year and style and the rest of the number is a sequential Serial number ??

Lumpy5oh one day when we both have our trucks done we’ll have to meet up and drool over each others trucks :)
PS: keep the pics coming

Thanks Merle

I'm going to arm myself with a wire brush and some sandpaper like suggested and retrieve my chassis number.
What can be learned from a chassis number ? 

3 hours ago, NoGoFargo said:

Thanks Merle

I'm going to arm myself with a wire brush and some sandpaper like suggested and retrieve my chassis number.
What can be learned from a chassis number ? 

Use this site to to get info on your chassis serial number. https://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help so far. 

This old girl just doesn't want to give up her secrets. Both frames have had some resto work done previous to me and all the numbers have been removed. ? The cab has gone thru a floor repair long ago and it looks like the original colour was red.

What would the best guess be as to what the truck originally was based on cab and front? Was it a b series ect? 

Don't know if these will help.

Thanks again

20210511_111235_HDR.jpg

20210511_111240_HDR.jpg

"Dodge may have used a small child with a tack hammer to strike the number die, as the stamps are often shallow, and may be hard to find."

This could not be a truer statement, lol.

48D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1