Rear shock mounts

belvedere666

I’m doing a rear end swap in my 50 Plymouth.

this requires me to find an alternative for my rear shock mounts as the stock ones are on the spring perch.

i have already had the new spring perches welded on the new rear end with no shock mount.

ive heard that 40s Plymouth cars had a shock mount on the lower spring plate where the U-bolts mount.

does anyone have a part number for this, and possibly some pictures, maybe some for sale??

If you find a plate, make sure it matches your width of leaf spring. Personally, I wouldn't mess with a plate. Easy enough to weld some on the axle housing. 20 bucks and a little bit of welding, done deal.

Screenshot_20210507-090821_Gallery.jpg

10 minutes ago, allbizz49 said:

If you find a plate, make sure it matches your width of leaf spring. Personally, I wouldn't mess with a plate. Easy enough to weld some on the axle housing. 20 bucks and a little bit of welding, done deal.

Screenshot_20210507-090821_Gallery.jpg

Welding is an only an option if I load up the axle and take it to my friends house. In that case I would just have him weld bolts into the stock position.

easier said than done at the moment.

I was hoping to be able to locate, and use, the early Plymouth plates.

I would be on the road a bit quicker.

5 hours ago, belvedere666 said:

Welding is an only an option if I load up the axle and take it to my friends house. In that case I would just have him weld bolts into the stock position.

easier said than done at the moment.

I was hoping to be able to locate, and use, the early Plymouth plates.

I would be on the road a bit quicker.

Sent you a PM

Joe

Do your shock point forward like my 48 Desoto or point inward at the top like my 50 Dodge and 70 Dodge.

what is the rear tube diameter? 3 inch diameter the shock plate for a late 60's -70's Mopar 8 3/4 should help.

The shocks on those cars were behind the rear end. just put the left one the right so the shocks in the front and so on.

sounds like this would work in my head.

Good luck.

On 5/12/2021 at 12:37 PM, Frank Gooz said:

Do your shock point forward like my 48 Desoto or point inward at the top like my 50 Dodge and 70 Dodge.

what is the rear tube diameter? 3 inch diameter the shock plate for a late 60's -70's Mopar 8 3/4 should help.

The shocks on those cars were behind the rear end. just put the left one the right so the shocks in the front and so on.

sounds like this would work in my head.

Good luck.

They point forward. I’ll look into those. Do those cars use 1.75” leaf springs?