How to crimp new ignition wires?

rrunnertexas

While I'm pondering my Carter B&B fuel leak problem, I'll move on to the next project - installing new ignition wires on the PJ.

This set came from Bernbaum Auto - the plug side is already crimped and the other is not.

Do I have to strip the end, fold it over and crimp with a special tool? 

If anyone could include a photo of the correct tool and how their finished wire looks, that would be most helpful.

Thanks!

20210505_145219.jpg

I just put the pointy bit on the bottom dead centre into the plug wire, fold the two sides up as much as I can with my fingers. I then insert the plug wire into the rotor and push until it hits the bottom. This gives you a nice, tight fit. Make sure you put the waterproof cap on the wire before doing this and once the wire is in place, push the cap down over the rotor tower. I have never felt the need to buy a tool for this job when nature has provided me with fingers. 

incidentally, you are showing the correct tool in your picture. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

I just put the pointy bit on the bottom dead centre into the plug wire, fold the two sides up as much as I can with my fingers. I then insert the plug wire into the rotor and push until it hits the bottom. This gives you a nice, tight fit. Make sure you put the waterproof cap on the wire before doing this and once the wire is in place, push the cap down over the rotor tower. I have never felt the need to buy a tool for this job when nature has provided me with fingers. 

that works, but since the sides have points that are intended to penetrate the insulation, they often fall off when removed, if not crimped in place.  I did it with a pair of old pliers with a recess ground into the jaws for years before acquiring a tool.  Now the tool is gone and I can't find the old pliers.

There are many tools as stated, but also many types of connectors.

The one shown in photo is the worst. Cheap ,fragile construction and can easily fall off.

I never use them.  I use these fold overs. These tabs dig into insolation and locks. Also shown one of the many tools and after crimping.

But that's my opinion :)

2.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yep...chrysler1941 says it right!

Throw those cheap dist cap terminals in the round file and use the brass ones he shows.

I've used those for years...they won't pull off if crimped correctly with the right tooling.

• Like 1

back in the day...the plug wires end at the spark plug did not get rubber boots....folks in those day understood you touch them when running you get shocked...today you can tell people that but it seems they just don't understand what you saying till they get a couple good jolts....yessir, make your pants want to get up and dance...

6 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

back in the day...the plug wires end at the spark plug did not get rubber boots....folks in those day understood you touch them when running you get shocked...today you can tell people that but it seems they just don't understand what you saying till they get a couple good jolts....yessir, make your pants want to get up and dance...

I had an uncle that could kill a 216/236 Chevy with the old bare plugs wires with his hands.  He'd spread his fingers to span 4-6 with the left and 1-3 with his right.  Lay hands on it and it died.  And what's amazing, he could do that without jumping!  Big hands and iron nerves.

9 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

No boots on mine. ;) LOL yes you get some respect after being zapped a couple of time pulling throttle linkage. But it's healthy.

sound like me....waiting on parts at every turn....finding a source to order some parts is often more time consuming that the fix....and if you not waiting on a part....you modifying one to work for your special build......at least we having fun.....tell me I'm having fun.....!! 

(I am)

• Like 1

Fun?

As long as you believe it and the wife is happy, all is good in your world!  ?

DJ

@Plymouthy Adams you having fun ...

Think first time I tried to make plug wires ... was a disaster .

I was 17 years old and working on a 60's car .... I just bought pre-made wires after that.

Years later I see the advantage to making our own wires.

But again, if you not having fun doing it ... why bother?