Turn signal indicator light not working

iowa51

A while back my turn signal indicator in the gauge cluster on my '51 Plymouth quit flashing. Turn signals on the outside of the car still worked so no concern at the time. 

Now trying to get the indicator light working again. 1st and most obvious was to replace the bulb. Bulb I took out looked good but replaced it anyways. Still doesn't work. 

Took my test light and tried each terminal on the flasher (6V HD) labeled X, L, and P which according to my wiring diagram goes to the instrument panel light.

Key on and turn signal off X lights up somewhat dim, L lights up, and P has no light.

Tested with key on, turn signal on. Outside lights flash. X flashes, L stays lit although slightly flashes, and P has no light. I can hear the flasher clicking.

Took a NIB flasher (NAPA brand) from my spare parts in the trunk and replaced flasher, same results. 

Even switched the X and L around and made no difference.

Other than than chance of having 2 bad flashers what else could be wrong? 

Flasher...use high quality Good OE USA flasher.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

6 minutes ago, greg g said:

Check the ground for the repeater, doesn't take much to corrupt the ground.  Will the light illuminate with a jumper wire to power?

The flasher snaps into the holder so I would think it has a good ground. As said before it worked then didn't work with no changes until I stated trying to fix it.

Thanks for the suggestion of a jumper. I will try that that to make sure the wire from the flasher to the bulb is okay, but I still don't have power to the "P" terminal on the flasher that goes to the light.

The electronic 535 flashers will not work properly with a positive ground car. They are designed for a negative ground car. This is only an issue with the dash indicator (P terminal on the flasher) as it presents a positive voltage due to a diode inside the flasher.

Also check for “ tape wads” which consistently grow like warts on old wiring, especially the light and signalling circuits. Check cloth wiring for bare spots and shorting on the way to your lights from the switching component. Check all socket bodies for a proper path to ground.

17 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

X is power source

L is load

P for indicator lamp

If outside indicators work, connect P to L

You really don't need a 3 pong. The idea inside flashes opposite outside

If connected this way, won't the pilot light stay lit? I did this once on a Desoto and the pilot light stayed lit with the signal switch in the neutral position. It seemed the load of the light was not great enough to cause the element to heat up. It did flash when either signal was activated. Wasn't a big deal though.

I recently went through this same issue. My old flasher failed, wouldn't flash any of the lights. Bought a 6v flasher from the store, indicator on dash wouldn't work. Used a jumper wire to power the indicator circuit at the flasher connector. Indicator on the dash worked, simple test to verify the wire to the indicator, the bulb and the ground for the bulb. Tried a second flasher from the part store, figuring I got a defective foreign made part. Same result, turn signals worked, indicator on dash didn't. Ordered one from Rhode Island Wiring, they said the part store 6v flashers don't work on positive ground cars. Put their flasher in and it works great. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kahunah said:

If connected this way, won't the pilot light stay lit? I did this once on a Desoto and the pilot light stayed lit with the signal switch in the neutral position. It seemed the load of the light was not great enough to cause the element to heat up. It did flash when either signal was activated. Wasn't a big deal though.

Basically your are connecting pilot to outer indicators. If outer work as OP states, pilot will flash with them. No need for a third pong.